or Connect

Posts by Jay Dowle

Master Classer.  Thanks for feedback. I’d only worn these pants/trousers a couple of times and haven’t taken them in to be altered. My body seems to be morphing with age and having to hitch trousers up (no matter how well made or fitted) seems to be a recurrent and increasing problem. The (horrible) shoes… bought at least ten years ago in NYC and only had occasion to wear them three or four times since them. Frequently consigned to the charity/thrift shop pile but always...
Love these... very very much. But why have you posted when the discount expires at the BEGINNING of this month? Can you extend it?
  At my niece's beach wedding this weekend. If only I had an excuse to dress up like this every day!
Glad to be of help Cleav. I think if I were to have a map pocket square I would want one of those silk escape maps they gave to bomber crew so that they could find their way back from Stalag Luft XX, if shot down. But a golf course is good even if you have to whip it out every so often to describe your progress round the dog-leg 6th hole.   On a completely different note yesterday my granddaughter decided to take all of my pocket squares out of the drawer where they...
I do like this – design, typography – but not so much the message. Seeing only a few letters displayed people are bound to ask what it says. I’d love to have one with a favourite personalised quote than a “T-shirt/poster” style motto.   I’ve just bought this market scene pocket square from the USA on ebay… should arrive this week.       I noticed that Drakes did a limited edition last year of pocket squares decorated with the covers of Beatles’ albums – would have...
I notice that Richard Branson (forced to wear a tie for Wimbledon) said today:  "I loathe ties, and encourage everyone to say bye to them at every opportunity. I often carry scissors, just in case an opportunity arises to cut off somebody’s tie.”     I feel exactly the same way about beards, but doubt if I could get away with it.
I’ve had my hair cut at Trumpers in Jermyn Street for years and frequently browse or buy – usually the former – at the shops there, visit St James’ Church and the adjacent market and coffee shop. It’s probably my favorite London street and I thought I knew a lot about it until Friday when a chance correspondence with a newspaper columnist led to me being invited on her Jermyn Street London Walk.   As well as a behind-the-scenes look at a bespoke shirtmaker and...
Somewhere in Nicholas Antongiavanni's The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style he says that French or double cuffs (plus links) should not only be worn only with a suit, but only with a wool suit and not with linen, silk or tweed etc. I’m inclined to agree.   I'm also a big believer in only wearing double-sided cufflinks, not those swivel-back things.
Oh dear. I thought it was rather good. Perhaps I too don't understand current 'coding'. In fact I don't know what 'coding' means in this context. Can you explain?
Please can I recommend this article by Theodore Dalrymple on the Takimag site as excellent, thought-provoking reading. It begins:   'Walking through Amsterdam recently, a paradox that I had long noticed in an inchoate way formulated itself clearly in my mind. It was this: A century ago, there would have been one clothes shop for every hundred well-dressed people. Nowadays there is one well-dressed person (if that) for every hundred clothes shops. What accounts for this...