or Connect

Posts by trvlr472

I have some 10" Smoke Jumpers and they are nice.  They aren't 12" but I don't see where there would be much difference at all.  To tell you the truth they are more comfortable and were easier to break in than the two 6" pairs of Whites I have.  The shorter boots bind a little around the ankle whereas the tall ones don't.  If you order them in Brown or Black Smooth or, from what I've heard, Red Dog get ready for a fairly long break in.  My Smoke Jumpers are Black Rough Out...
I've got a Filson extra large duffel, an original briefcase I've had for over 15 years and a Sportmans bag I've had for almost as long as the briefcase.  They all work great.  I've also got quite a bit of their clothing and a few of their jackets.  I've had problems with a couple of their shirts just falling apart  and the Weekender Coat I originally bought was returned and they replaced it free of charge.  It just started falling apart as well.  It was really weird. ...
Those are real nice.  I like 'em!
I recently ordered a pair of BH's with a CXL upper and black smooth lower, unlined.  The feel from a lined boot is definitely noticeable.  If I did it again i would have had the CXL lined.  They are just fine the way they are though.
The smooth leathers are basically a "matte" or I suppose if you take the time to try and polish them a "semi-gloss"  finish.  I've got a pair of CWB's in brown smooth and recently ordered a pair of BH's with the swing last with a black CXL upper and a black smooth lower.  The black smooth is definitely what you want if you're going to actually work in them.  You can gouge them pretty good and just a little Obenhauf's and some brushing makes the gouges and scratches pretty...
That tightness across the metatarsal is normal for a new pair of Whites.  They are made that way.  I've got three pairs and all of them have been tight across the top of the arch.  If the arch is in the right spot and you have an inch or so toe room and the heel is snug I'd say you found your size.  Unless they are just way to tight from a width standpoint.  Even once they are broken in they will be snug over the arch of your foot.  I found out on my third pair that taking...
Those are a swing last without a doubt.  No way they are classic work boot.  I have both and that is not a classic 461 last.
I don't really think the swing last looks clownish it just looks "different".  My new swing lasted bounty hunters or custom SJ's, however you want to look at it are wearing in nicely.  They have a little ways to go though.  So far I can't really tell any difference between the last on the CWB's and the swing last but it will probably be a little while longer before the oil finish black breaks in.  Right now, they feel about the same.  The arch on the swing last is more...
Here are pics of my most recent pair.  They are getting comfy rather quickly.  I really like the lowered heel.  The swing last doesn't really seem to afford me any more room up front than the Classic does on my CWB's but these aren't broken in yet so I'll see. I'v only got about 15 hours in them so far and not too much of that was walking.
I decided to Obenhauf my new ones.  After touching and feeling them (pun) they seemed a little dry and the laces were so dry I couldn't get them into a couple of the hooks so they got Obenhaufed as well.  Tonight they'll be ready for another break in wearing.  I did two applications.  One yesterday and one today.  It made a big difference in how they feel.  They won't get another app for a while unless they dry up again.