or Connect

Posts by hi-val

If you plan to do it, get a stitch ripper from a fabric store. I do a bit of sewing and I wouldn't suggest anything else. I've taken pockets off of clothing before and if you're careful, you won't scar things up that way. That said, embroidery is Serious Bizness. Mechanically done, it's done at a very high tension and so it may distort the fabric if you take it out. You might end up with a ghost image. If you're intent on doing it (which means that the clothing isn't too...
Polyester != bad all times. Sometimes, manufacturers put it in so that it doesn't wrinkle as much. You'll especially notice this in dress shirts. It may work to your advantage. Besides, nobody will notice, so it's a decision to make on your own whether or not you like the jeans, regardless of the kind of fabric.
My favorite jeans are from the thrift store and often from the Girls aisle. You've got to look at it differently; would you buy silver and china that someone else used? You're buying a really cool story : ) There's also some college rant in here about how the capitalist system makes you think that anything used is de facto worthless and that you should keep buying. It all comes down to this: if you like it, why do you care where it came from?
I'll get some pics of it unrolled up soon. Also, I have crew-neck sweaters; when wearing something with a collar, I make sure the collar is ironed and stayed and then keep the ends out. I've seen some people saying this is bad and others saying that untucked collars is good. I think it's a British look, which isn't a bad thing at all, and it's worked for me. I'm just ignorant enough though that I may be committing some serious fashion sin that I don't know about! Thoughts...
If you'd like to try non-liquor drinks, there are other options too. Sometimes all that alcohol can get heavy, or you want something with a fizz to it. Look for hard cider; ideally, you want local stuff. It's really quenching and delicious. There's also things like Lambic Framboise beer. It's a Belgian beer flavored with raspberries and it's really, really good. As for you and your friends not drinking beer, nobody likes beer at first. You hate it for four months while...
Quote: Originally Posted by totally epic Your sweater fits nice, but is WAY too short. I've got it either tucked in or rolled under, it's about 4in longer than how it appears. Based on the construction of the sweater, it's very tight at the bottom, so I have to adjust it a little so that it doesn't pucker up at the bottom and roll out. I hope you gather what I'm saying. Thoughts on tucking vs. untucked?
First shot of what I predict will be many here: Going off to work and feeling sartorial. blue Coast Guard surplus commando sweater (can't see it well but has epaulets and elbow patches) White twill shirt polka dot tie, from the exclusive My Dad's Closet collection Black belt (looking for one with a steel buckle, it's on my list of stuff) Grey slacks from Gap Not pictured: blue argyle socks, plain black Oxfords The camera was set for indoor lighting so...
There's a lot of good advice here. A very important thing is to know your audience. Who are you serving for? What are their tastes? What is your budget, to a dollar figure? Basically, drinkers come in two types: -I want something sweet or easy to drink. Often younger drinkers, more women than men. They enjoy things like Jack & Coke, vodka tonics, cosmopolitans, etc. -I want something sophisticated or obscure. Tend to be older drinkers, may or may not be pretentious about...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakota rube This is precisely what I meant to suggest. Just take your dick out of your pants and ask if anyone wants to hook on to it. Uncle Tony?
Commenting on the situation at hand is always good for starting conversations. Shared anxieties, like asking someone "I've never done this meetup kind of thing before, are you new too?" or telling them that you're a little nervous but the other person looks like they're a fun person works. I wouldn't use any sort of canned opening line or something, just go off what you have at the moment. The best conversations are when you start with something for a person to hook on...