or Connect

Posts by hi-val

There's a very specific yeast used for champagne that throws sediment in a really fine powder instead of clumps. They rotate the bottles so that they can slowly move the yeast from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the neck. There's an art to it and the process of turning the bottles, remuage, is actually legally regulated in some way, IIRC. They do this really cool thing where they freeze the neck of the bottle, pull the ice plug out that contains the yeast, then top...
I fancy myself as an equal-opportunity drinker. I'm quite all right with boxed wines for that reason : ) If it's terrible, you can always make sangria.
Thanks for the link. That's very specific to champagne production. The long periods of time that it has to sit are due to remuage, the very slow process of tilting the bottles so the lees settle at the top of the neck. The time required is due to the desire not to shake up the yeast, not to let the yeast die. Certainly, some yeast bodies make it through fining, though I'm still skeptical about there being live and active cultures once placed in a final container. There...
I don't think anyone is saying that you should cellar box wine. In fact, I suggest against it in an earlier post here. That said, around 80% of wine purchased is consumed within 24 hours of purchase. Vin du Table in a box certainly counts here. It's fine for about four months in a box, which is fine. Piobaire, wines that age throw a sediment that's a result of tannin molecules bumping into each other and forming longer chains that eventually settle to the bottom. There...
Quote: Originally Posted by underwearer Bottled wine has active yeast in it which will scavenge any oxygen that may cause oxidation and as long as the bottle is stored properly (not letting the cork dry out)and the yeast is occasionally roused the wine will age indefinitely. Bagged wine has most likely been pastuerized which kills the yeast and whatever off flavor killing potential it had. Besides, the entire bag is porous where only the cork is in a...
I tried to track down the WSJ article, but all I could find was a blog writeup on it: http://www.boxwines.org/articles/wsj...-for-weeks.htm They said the Fisheye Shiraz was a good wine that they would drink happily. Worth noting. If you want to sign up for the free 2 week subscription to Fine Cooking, you can read their reviews below or just note the ones they put in the picture (all rated drinkable to...
Wine in a box is actually the best way to store wine. The WSJ and Fine Cooking, among others, have reviewed box wine favorably. I think people who discount the wine based on its carrying vessel would rather be seen drinking the wine than actually enjoying drinking it. Off the top of my head, Block Wine is perfectly fine for a weeknight get-together with friends. If you're concerned about droppin' that box on the table, put the wine in a carafe or decanter and you'll be...
Secretly switch the coffee to decaf.
There's some new evidence on cholesterol in eggs that might bring one to re-evaluate their (lack of) consumption. Clearly, before doing a diet change like that, one should consult a dietician and doctor. That said, if I were in the situation of needing to cut back, I'd probably cut back a bit on beef and eat more fatty-acid rich fish (which I should probably do these days anyway). I think some sort of Eggs Benedict sandwich involving Hollandaise would probably be The Best...
Quote: Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC When I was in college I thought I was so cool in the one I made that said "Who The Fuck Is Mick Jagger?" on it (after seeing a pic of Keith wearing one in the 70s). That's actually pretty rad. I might have to change my approach and do that one instead.