or Connect

Posts by hi-val

Quote: Originally Posted by Jared It took me years to figure out that writing like that is bad. You mean writing like I said not to write like, or writing like how I wrote? I'm afraid I can't understand your post : ) The other day, I said "well, buying that is contingent on the cost of this thing" which is not, I think, a showoff sentence. "Purchasing that item depends wholly on the exactitude of sale price on the other item in question"...
Pick a drink and stick with it. If you haven't drank before, you'll have a temptation to try a lot of different things, and that will make you throw up. Drinking will also lower your intelligence against mixing different drinks, so make sure that you stick with having only, say, beer. Especially if you are going to an Irish pub! Try different beers, but don't do a beer, tequila and then Baileys on the rocks. Drink a bottle of Gatorade, or better, Vitamin Water (make sure...
There's an interesting philosophical argument here that is tangentially related to the Ship of Theseus paradox. If the Chinese, or whoever, can (for the sake of argument) produce exactly the same watch by copying every little detail and machining it correctly, then assembling it correctly, so that it is indistinguishable, does it become real? Similar questions arise in collectible coins and cards. I'm not taking a side here and instead, desperately trying to make my...
Yeah, that too. I have a strong vocabulary (at least people around me tell me that) but I use words like "contingent" and "ameliorate" that are very specific verbs that narrowly describe what I'm talking about. It's precision instead of flourish. If there's one thing people can't stand, it's vocab show-offs.
drizzt3117, try wearing a grey or heather shirt under your dress shirt. It cuts down on the reflectivity through translucent fabrics so it's not as obvious that you're wearing an undershirt. It works for me.
Quote: Originally Posted by Hegemon One on one, I get along with people gallantly. 2 people and me, I can still hold my own. Any more than 2 people in the conversation that I am not already friends with and I tend to withdraw. That's because you let yourself withdraw. If you tell yourself that with 3 other people, you'll still be fine, you'll, guess what, be fine. That you can actaully demarcate where your slip is very telling because it...
You want everyone there to wonder why she cheated on such a great guy. You don't want them to think she was justified in cheating on an angry, manipulative, vindictive and rude guy. If running into her was such a problem, the gentlemanly thing would have been to contact the host or, if she messages you, ask her and inquire whether she will be attending. Then say you're looking forward to it and then have something else that, unfortunately, just came up. There's an old...
Quote: Originally Posted by mrpologuy I don't see why so many folks on here defend these perverts. I have really big, Constitution-sized problems with what amounts to vigilante justice.
Dishwasher salmon!
In an effort to increase the signal to noise ratio in here... You don't need to change who you are to make people like you, you just need to show them things to like. I think you're probably getting into a self-feeding cycle that looks like: [people don't like me because they know I'm smarter] [oh great! party! I don't have to sit at home on a friday night!] [oh, get to party, I don't want to talk about plebe stuff with people] [nobody wants to talk to me because...