or Connect

Posts by hi-val

butter butter butter butter butter, it's an egg's best friend. Put in about a half tablespoon of butter in the pan for an omelet, swish around to coat and then make your concoction in there. Use low heat so you don't scorch the eggs. Alton Brown, from Good Eats on Food Network, did an episode on omelets. Google the recipe and technique (good eats fan page has a good writeup of it) or download a Torrent of the show and check it out.
Doing that list is a great way to have your relatives posting your old clothes in the marketplace forum after you die from alcohol poisoning.
Those things are badass. I'm wondering whether to say "ride the snake" or "don't tread on me" but both are just too good to pass up. Is your reluctance borne from the price, the fact that they are slippers or that they have venomous, presumably angry cobras on them? Those slippers are Serious Business. Besides, if they're cool and you like them, wear them. Fashion failures come from trying to please or impress others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakota rube ^I'll bet you watch Monk. Or reruns of The Odd Couple. Negative, Ghost Rider. I was about to say "don't watch so much TV" but then my line above would look ridiculous, and I don't feel like deleting it. There are two kinds of list-writing: those motivated by a desire to make lists of every little thing, and those who know that without structuring events, they'd never get done. I'm sure there...
I have little acronyms I have to tell myself sometimes, like GSD (get shit done) to get me through. Carl Jung once said something to the tune that the void is fearful because we know so little about it. Things that bother or trouble us do so because we have not defined them. When we talk about them or confront them, we give architecture to the abyss and greatly reduce the fear of it. To this end, when you make a to-do list, write out everything you think you'll need to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jared It took me years to figure out that writing like that is bad. You mean writing like I said not to write like, or writing like how I wrote? I'm afraid I can't understand your post : ) The other day, I said "well, buying that is contingent on the cost of this thing" which is not, I think, a showoff sentence. "Purchasing that item depends wholly on the exactitude of sale price on the other item in question"...
Pick a drink and stick with it. If you haven't drank before, you'll have a temptation to try a lot of different things, and that will make you throw up. Drinking will also lower your intelligence against mixing different drinks, so make sure that you stick with having only, say, beer. Especially if you are going to an Irish pub! Try different beers, but don't do a beer, tequila and then Baileys on the rocks. Drink a bottle of Gatorade, or better, Vitamin Water (make sure...
There's an interesting philosophical argument here that is tangentially related to the Ship of Theseus paradox. If the Chinese, or whoever, can (for the sake of argument) produce exactly the same watch by copying every little detail and machining it correctly, then assembling it correctly, so that it is indistinguishable, does it become real? Similar questions arise in collectible coins and cards. I'm not taking a side here and instead, desperately trying to make my...
Yeah, that too. I have a strong vocabulary (at least people around me tell me that) but I use words like "contingent" and "ameliorate" that are very specific verbs that narrowly describe what I'm talking about. It's precision instead of flourish. If there's one thing people can't stand, it's vocab show-offs.
drizzt3117, try wearing a grey or heather shirt under your dress shirt. It cuts down on the reflectivity through translucent fabrics so it's not as obvious that you're wearing an undershirt. It works for me.