or Connect

Posts by hi-val

Sear on all sides. Rub with Five-Spice powder. Put in roaster with a can of beer for liquid, cook for 4hrs at 300 degrees. Check every now and then to make sure it isn't drying out. Thyme and fivespice are my two default beef seasonings with roasting...
Did you consider roasting it on the bone and then using the roast bone? Meat is so much better when cooked on the bone! I often toss the roasted bones in a pot and get the flavor out of them when I'm done with a meal.
Gin:vermouth in 4:1 or 5:1 proportion. I drink a martini to drink a mixed drink, not cold gin. Noilly Prat is my go-to vermouth, and I'm thinking of cellaring a bunch of bottles since they changed the recipe and the new big bottles are already on the shelves. Gin-wise, I'm not too picky, and I like the lemon twist. There's a whole dumbass "macho martini" culture that is a remnant of the 80's that still hasn't died. Drinking a martini where you can't taste the vermouth is...
Yeah, saw Spring Sale today. How are their suits? They're about $365 right now and I'm thinking of gunning for one, but I get the feeling there might be something better in that price range too.
Quote: Originally Posted by tonio028 ^ Regarding the Slim-fit lightweight chino pant: For all this talk about J.Crew slim chino's having large thighs and still not being slim enough for SF standards (myself included), no one other than Teger has pulled the trigger on these and able to provide some updates? I will probably purchase it soon, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone can speak on them before I do? Gracias. EDIT: And what is this "red...
Ruhlman suggests in his Elements of Cooking that you have a nonstick pan for delicate foods like fish or eggs that need a nonstick surface for easy release. These items are cooked at a low heat and would overcook by the time they released from a steel pan. Get good teflon, baby it and only use it for cooking things that need a nonstick surface. You can mix butter and oil for a higher smoke point fat with the flavor of butter. Chefs do it quite a bit.
Your guess is as good as Google's then. If you don't want things to stick, use lots of hot fat and high heat.
Here's how I do it: with a new pan, I coat it in a very light layer of oil, then put it in the oven for a few hours at 300 while other things like roasts or bread cook in the oven. If you have sticky spots on the pan, you used too much oil. This will go away soon enough. Later, I will fry bacon in it. These produce a fine nonstick surface. To clean, heat the pan up a little and pour some kosher salt in it. Then use a paper towel to abrade the stuck-on stuff out...
This is actually a riff on a really old cooking technique. Looks like you've got a fancy-pants pate/terrine/galantine going on! I'd be really interested in how it would be with a really long, slow cooking time and then a final, heat-blasting scorch to get the bacon totally crisp.
I've avoided it for years. It's more of an avoidance of sugar than HFCS in particular, and it gets me reading nutrition and ingredient labels as well. I think that's the much more important part. Companies put sugar in lots of strange things like pasta sauce and ketchup, so reading the labels for that stuff helps me find the ketchup that usually tastes better anyway. It's more of an awareness-raising thing for me. That, and I detest sweetened hamburger buns. Yuck.