or Connect

Posts by hi-val

The problem there was going to a club in the first place : ) I try to order only from bartenders that look or act like they drink classic cocktails. If someone doesn't drink a martini off-duty, then they don't know why they're so good. It'd be like me trying to make a good Mind Probe or whatever, I don't drink them so I can't really say what makes them good (except that they need enough sugar to mask the liquor...). If I can get my hands on orange bitters, I'd like to...
In Farewell to Arms, Hemingway wrote of the martini that "I had never tasted anything so cool and clean. They made me feel civilized." A martini, for me, is defined by gin and enough vermouth to actually taste it. I like about a 4:1 ratio. I like a little lemon peel over an olive, since it makes the drink sleeker. I have also resorted to just making my own. Like a Manhattan, a good martini is about as rare as a unicorn steak in a bar.
If your budget is $60-100, Ebay is the place to look. Since you want shoes to be refurbished, it's also helpful to know what companies have refurbishing policies. I think Allen Edmonds will run you about $40-120 for them to make the shoes like new again. Thus, if you find a pair you like on Ebay for a low price, you can have them recrafted and save about $100 over retail if you're willing to put in the time. This might be helpful, too:...
I have a white v-neck from JC in XS that fits like a cardboard box. I hot-soaked it several times and ran it through a hot dryer too, which made it manageable. Know that their sizing on sweaters is the boxiest I've ever encountered. However, the cotton-cashmere cardigan fits really well and didn't need any shrinking. I suppose it's a crapshoot. Both sweaters are very succeptible to pooching out at the elbows, making the sweater's arms look distorted. Since people are...
Quote: Originally Posted by steviecakes anyone know where i may obtain a cheap plain silver 1.25-1.75" tie bar? searched around. everything i've found is either too long or is has too much going on. this is harder than i thought. Didn't see this answered and just found this in my own search... http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIFORM-TIE-CLIP...d=p3286.c0.m14 Four bones, shipped, is probably the cheapest you'll find ever.
I got two XS White Buttondowns from them earlier this week. They look great and the material is nice. They're really slim around the waist and have medium arm-holes and proportionally sized sleeves. I am pleased with them. They're also a bitch and a half to iron, especially because I'm out of starch...
Dylon is better than Rit for your purposes. If you want a really vibrant color, double, triple or quadruple the amount of dye that the package indicates for.
Quote: Originally Posted by mulansauce Word on the street is sometime in May. I was just going to ask about this. They sent out a 20% off one that expired last Friday. I want to get some new boring dress shirts but don't know if it's worth waiting and possibly having them sell out. Opinions? As a corollary, can I call the phone ordering number, have them apply my student discount and have it sent to a store for pickup? End result being no...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Tape macros? I was hoping to devise a full eating plan for three months. I imagine my general practitioner is just going to say avoid too many calories, don't eat foods high in fat, etc. Should I find a nutritionist? Find a dietitian. They're registered with the state and have medical training, where a nutritionist doesn't have to have any sort of education at all.
Quote: Originally Posted by ChicagoRon When you say "roaster", do you mean a dutch oven? Or actual on a rack open top roasting pan? Dutch oven, casserole with a lid, cast iron pan with foil over it; you want something that will hold in the moisture.