or Connect

Posts by dexterhaven

Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek I just watched Trading Places last night. Fantastic movie. Eddie Murphy in his prime was great. "Just watched" as in "for the first time?" If so, that's crazy. But I agree. Fantastic movie. Though it's nothing compared to "Coming to America." I just watched Night of the Iguana for about the 100th time. Richard Burton is so good in this movie. One of my all time favorite movies.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sammy3 Try The Far Pavillons by M. M. Kaye There are two volumes. The author has a great eye for detail. I've read them many times. Thanks. I'll check this out.
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara For a standard introductory narrative, the best option is Lawrence James' "Raj." Its a decent overview. If you want something more narrowly focused/academic (political, social, economic histories) I'd be happy to give recommendations. No, a general overview will do nicely. Thank you. This will be the next book I read.
Quote: Originally Posted by willpower It's an overused time waster that more often than not doesn't move the plot along. I don't know if it damages the plot, but I fucking hate this too. I never knew it till you pointed it out. Thank you. P.S. This thread would be a whole lot cooler if y'all would give examples of movies that invoke the clichés you hate.
Quote: Originally Posted by grouper Pierrot le Fou. This is my favorite Goddard movie. (Well, actually, I kind of vacillate between this and A Bout de Souffle.) I've watched it like 5 times. But I never can shake the suspicion that Goddard was just fucking around and everyone just reads things into the movie that aren't there. But what do I know? I just rewatched High Noon. I am ready to take on the world. I also can't stop watching Get...
You're some well read fellas. Kinda random, but can anyone recommend a good book about the British Raj?
The la Marseilles scene always gets me. And Bogey is a joy to watch. But I have to agree that the movie is overrated. When I compare it with some of my other favorite movies, it comes out looking like a flat and pious wartime picture. And though I'm no expert, it doesn't seem to me to be very technically sound either. It's good, but all this "greatest story ever told!" and bitches dragging their boyfriends to summer screenings--it's too much. But if you like it, more...
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero Some Bergman is a bit overrated IMO as well. I think Seventh Seal is a really boring movie: a supremely intelligent, but dreadfully boring movie. What do you mean by "supremely intelligent." I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm genuinely curious because you sound an awful lot like me when I don't get something that has been well received by critics. Also, what don't you like about Jules and Jim. Do the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sesame Seed That’s a great film, right there. Another underrated John Huston film that you may like is ‘The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean’ with Paul Newman. I've heard about that one but I haven't seen it. I'll watch it. Thanks.
Yeah I agree. I guess they threw those in there to keep it interesting. But the review was plenty interesting by itself--Just realized we're critiquing a critique. God bless the internet.