or Connect

Posts by ed1066

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiwi Man Since there was a thread about places where you went and want to re-visit, I thought that it would be fun to have a thread about places where you regret visiting. If you can specify the reason why it ruined your vacation, please feel free to tell us. I have traveled a lot in the US and I like most of the places there. However, there aret towns such as Gary, IN and South of Chicago that I wish I had never...
Bourbon on the rocks. Good bourbon.
I'm hoping the cool kids here can help me out. I travel for business quite a bit and stay in hotels 3-4 nights a week. Currently, I'm working a long-term project which is keeping me in the same city (San Francisco) for about a year. I have been staying in the same hotel most weeks, but with both convention season and tourist season approaching, getting reservations here is becoming a challenge. The hotel is in a desireable location and it's sold out most spring and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kid Nickels I don't know the brand but the bottle is wrapped in wicker almost like a basket weave and the label is unforgettable as it has a Brazilian James Coburn look-alike on the front wearing the most Hugh Hefner-esque style smoking jacket! if you've had this I'm sure you would remember! That's Ypioca, it's also pretty shitty, but for caipirinhas shitty is not necessarily bad, as the lime and sugar typically...
It's not a ski spot, but Napa is really nice that time of year. Far fewer crowds and the good restaurants have a lot of specials going with local produce, meat and, of course, wines. You can eat and drink very well. Hotels are less expensive, too. Fly into SFO and rent a car, it's about two hours away. You can also fly into Sacramento and it's a shorter distance to Napa (fewer flights however). The wife and I almost always go to Napa for a 4 day getaway, it's the...
Thanks Allen. When you say "thieves" are you referring to pickpockets, or are there problems with hotels as well? When I went to Rio de Janiero, everyone remarked how unsafe it could be, but I honestly never felt unsafe there, as long as I took the same precautions I would take in any big city. I know parts of Eastern Europe and Romania in particular have a reputation for Romany/Gypsy pickpockets and con artists. Is it true? Also, I'm not sure when you were in Romania...
I will be visiting the above mentioned cities later this week for about six days total. I've never been to Romania, though I have traveled elsewhwere in Europe several times. Any recommendations on what do do/see and where to eat/drink? Also, any advice on things to avoid? I'm there on business (nominally), but I expect to have a lot of down time. Not to be prude, but I'm not interested in anything of a sexual nature, since I'm married and not planning to break vows...
If you plan to ever do this again, it would be worth your while to buy a slow cooker (aka crock pot). Use any of the recipes here but do the cooking in a slow cooker instead of a roasting pan. Should be less mess and the crockery insert of the slow cooker is way easier to clean than a metal roasting pan. For a 6 lb shoulder, you're probably looking at 8-10 hours cooking time, but the result will be some seriously tender pulled pork. Just make sure you use enough liquid...
I'm left handed and would like to wear my watch on my right wrist, but as others have pointed out, winding and adjusting a watch on one's right wrist is difficult and awkward. The result is that my watch sometimes gets in the way of things like writing.
This is in no way a slam on Indians or their cuisine, as I have found well-prepared Indian food to be a delight. However, the pungency and longevity of curry is not to be taken lightly. Case in point, I once accidentally dropped a jar of powdered curry seasoning from the cabinet. The jar shattered and extravagantly disgorged its contents across the wooden floor. Not thinking, I grabbed the central vacuum hose and sucked up the curry powder in a moments'...