or Connect

Posts by DWFII

I'd have to do a little research to confirm it but I think in this photo those are all bona fide registered Scottish Clan Tartans. In the upper left hand corner the tartan that is red and black with the yellow raker is Clan MacQueen / MacSuibhne (that's "my" family tartan) and although I can't identify the rest on sight, they look familiar.
If you read this thread for any length of time, you come to realize that nothing is set in stone; no product is all we wish it to be and there is no daily regimen or "step by step" that is certified to keep your shoes looking their best.That said here's my "One" rule--keep the leather clean. Brushing regularly helps, wiping down with a damp cloth ever so often helps.I've used Kiwi, Meltonian, Tarrago, Kelly, Saphir, Angelus, Fiebings, Lincoln, Esquire ...and many more...
sf,Yeah, I wish I had been there. Maybe, if the elder gods smile down on us, it will be a video on the website. I have student, an extremely talented and good student....so any "reaching out" will have to wait.That said, I knew that oils and waxes are kind of related (?). Some dictionaries define lanolin as a grease derived from sheep wool. My wife is a spinner so I knew that. I also knew from previous inquiries that lanolin is considered a wax (a 'greasy" wax) by some...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of too. Real mayo is oily on the skin....and delicious. Esp. when licked off!Reno reminds me of mayonnaise a little bit...but it's terrible on asparagus. DAMHIKT.--
Thanks Glen. But I'm not clear what the upshot of having Lauric acid versus Palmitoleic acid, is. Which would feel oilier?And if an oil...any of these oils...is emulsified in water, will it lose its oily character?I guess to cut to the chase, how can a compound be "non oily" if it contains oil as one of the main...first listed, maybe among the only... ingredients?Point of order: I am not speculating or assuming as so many here are inclined to do--I am asking, simply...
I agree 100%.It just makes me wonder that's all. It awakens my native skepticism and makes me want a logical, rational answer.And frankly, it's a little bit of a puzzle that a company with world-wide exposure and access to to-flight PR people can't find someone to write clearer copy. If...as has been proposed...they don't want to say anything that might be misinterpreted, seems like they missed the boat there...big time.--
And if there is no wax in the recipe?Also what does emulsification with water do? Does it eliminate the oil or oiliness? I always thought emulsification broke down large molecules into much finer molecules, but even then oil is oil, isn't it?
Well, here's a question for Glenjay...or anyone else who can offer insight: How do you make a product "non-oily" when one of the primary ingredients is mink oil? Or Lanolin? Or jojoba oil? Colour me curious.
What makes you think they're not reinforced? A metal eyelet isn't the only way to reinforce. In fact, it may be a poor way when you consider that laces will eventually wear a hole in the metal which, in turn, will cut and tear the laces apart.And replacing the eyelet is an awkward business that can chew the hole up even before a replacement can be mounted.Most high end shoes have an extra layer of leather between the facings and the linings. This works pretty well, being...
This past weekend--the weekend of October 25, St. Crispin's Day--The Honourable Cordwainer's Company held its 30th Annual General Meeting.My particular friend and sometimes mentor, Al Saguto--the head of the Shoemaking Department at Colonial Williamsburg and one of the foremost shoe historians in the world-- gave a presentation there. He posted this on the Crispin Colloquy and gave me permission to share it.