or Connect

Posts by DWFII

Heh...you'd almost have to see it / do it, and ride, to really understand but I'll give it a go:First, the gear and Traditions of Western riding are significantly different than English. Or any other equestrian tradition in the world...for the most part. Bear in mind that the Western boot evolved in another time and place--different than might be popular or familiar today. Whether riding western really requires the boot to be built or shaped the way it is...and has...
It is.Fiberboard "tucks" are not needed when a good quality insole is used. Most, if not all, women's fashion shoes are made with fiberboard or Poron (or some other synthetic) insoles. Generally speaking, nails (the unspeakable) will not hold reliably in thin leather or fiberboard insoles. Hence the "tuck."
I think your post illustrates a better-than-average understanding of the logic and mechanics of shoemaking--what can be done, what cannot or will fall short of expectations. I started my career making boots. Western boots are Traditionally made much as you describe in the first couple of paragraphs after the link. That's the way I do it. It is a technique that addresses most, if not all, of the aesthetic and mechanical necessities of the form. As well as the inherent...
PS...if it's any consolation, I don't think the leather is a print. I don't know what it is (and I've seen a lot of "exotics"...exotic leathers...in my time). But there are a lot of strange critters on planet earth and no one has seen them all. I just don't think it's frog leather...I could be wrong--there are lots of ways to tan a hide and maybe someone, somewhere, came up with a way to tan frog and make it soft. Who knows?
They are undoubtedly leather...but what does that mean?Leather is a "catch-all" term for any tanned or preserved skin (sometimes, as in the case of shell, not even skin).Once the skin is tanned many alterations can be, and are, applied--dying, boxing, printing, snuffing, etc.. Calf or cow leather is naturally smooth when tanned, yet there are many variations that have grain textures--all after-the-fact and not natural. A very few leathers such as elephant, alligator,...
seems to be working now.
That said, I'm not altogether sure that the shoes in question are frog. Each of those "bumps" (even the little ones) on real frog tend to be hard, very hard...almost like the tiles on caiman. The photo of the shoes is not definitive but at first glance it appears to me that the edges of the facings are folded." I don't think this would be possible if it were truly frog. Might be faux frog.
Actually, when the leather gets to that point, the best thing to do is stop wearing them. It may look solid underneath but believe me it's only a matter of degree and continued flexing will only exacerbate the problem until the cracks open up entirely.
I don't think they are sea turtle.
They don't look like they are laced up snug even now, so it is hard to tell. But if a new shoe laces up with no gap between the facings on first wear, that's not a good fit. They will never get anything but looser.