or Connect

Posts by DWFII

I don't get it...he doesn't mention stitching. He's talking about the channel. The stitching in the channel could be referred to as a "blind stitch" but how does it cover the outsole stitching? It IS the outsole stitching. ("A blind stitch covers the out-sole stitching.")
Well, again, I am not an expert on the ingredients in shoe products, I don't know anyone who is...at least not here (maybe GlenJay?). But I often use wax as a mask to prevent dye from permanently staining. doesn't work very well but some.Point is that from what little I do know, aniline dyes are commonly carried in a solvent that is alcohol or something like alcohol. Once they penetrate the leather they are more or less there permanently. But it's the alcohol that does the...
pB,If I knew I'd tell you...But I suspect the reason why the question has gone begging is due to the reluctance of the companies who make leather care products to reveal the ingredients.I could conjecture....conjecture that the pigments are similar to common aniline leather dyes without the alcohol. Most creams and even polishes will permanently stain leather...crust, for instance. Beyond that, I dunno.
I don't either.If it's a welt channel he's talking about, yes, that would more or less hide the welt stitching. But he didn't mention a channel. He said blind stitch. It doesn't make any sense...on so many levels.
But how could it "cover" the "outsole stitching" if it is the outsole stitching? And who or what was he responding to?
I don't know about Italian makers but that's probably a good philosophy to begin with. If you begin with good quality leather, it can "speak" for itself.
+1 Probably a pretty common experience.
Not really. If the angled channel is begun slightly inward from the edge of the outsole it might be visible and an indication that it is indeed an angled channel. I do a angled channel and start my cut on the edge of the outsole...actually a mm +/- down from the grain surface...so it all gets subsumed into the edge finishing. But it makes the flap harder to turn back.I don't keep track of who does what method so almost the only way to know is probably ask the manufacturer...
There are really three variations of outsole channel--only one doesn't need to be glued down during the final stages of making.The horizontal channel--a cut is made, beginning at the very edge of the outsole, parallel to the surface creating a wide, thin, "flap" which is then rolled back out of the way. The outsole is sewn and the channel cover/flap is laid back over the threads and cemented or glued. The "flap" can be cut by hand but is most often seen in manufactories...
Sorry...after nearly ten hours of looking at it, curiosity got the better of me...What does this mean??