or Connect

Posts by bslo

Quote: Originally Posted by Texastyle Thank you! I just bid on a great looking sport coat so that advice sounds great. I'd be surprised if any of the other students wore sport coats. You'll have to decide whether that matters to you. It probably should.
Quote: Originally Posted by williamson (Jacket without tie is a major style mistake in my opinion, tie without jacket is not - I think that an open-necked shirt with a sports jacket, blazer or suit looks sloppy and unfinished. I've said it before and I'll say it again). . This has been debated in the past on this forum. My view: a jacket without a tie looks perfectly fine. There's nothing sloppy about it. A tie without a jacket does not...
Unlike many other occupations, what you wear is entirely up to you. I've taught at various locations in the U.S. (west coast, east coast, south), and I'd say that the formality varies somewhat according to the region. The kind of class you're teaching matters, too, I'd say. A professor in a professional school (say law) is more likely to wear a SC than a Humanities professor. Of course, most everyone is casual these days. I always wear a sportcoat and tie (typically,...
Quote: Originally Posted by starsfan18 I Right now, I have two suits - the Jos A Bank navy, and a HF 2 button in a solid dark gray (wouldn't quite call it charcoal) that I purchased from Gilt. I don't wear a suit often except for 3-4 times a year for business and the odd funeral. It doesn't seem as though you need a new suit, unless you're going to start wearing them more often.
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt There is so much wrong with that post that I don't know where to start. I'll just posit that even if you are quite rich, there are still things you feel that you cannot afford, so you are always in the position of having to decide whether to exist in a relationship in which you value open communication, or one in which you believe that alpha-ness is shrinking away from being able to take a realistic appraisal of a...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Are you fucking kidding me? Emasculating? Trade up? You are seriously gross. One other thought: If you find that not being rich is emasculating, you really don't have a very strong sense of self-worth.
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Are you fucking kidding me? Emasculating? Trade up? You are seriously gross. I assume he was being facetious, but maybe not. The idea that most of these men are "trading up" when they get trophy wives is laughable, though. On the other hand, most of the time they get exactly what they deserve. In any case, TC makes an interesting point. I don't know how long the OP has been dating the woman in...
Quote: Originally Posted by kxk Federal judges might disagree with you. And law school faculty hiring committees, as well. And from my experiences at a law school that's ranked pretty high (esp compared to overall ranking/"reputation") in the "ranked by law firms" list, these lists don't mean as much as you might think. In any case, def, Yale's smaller size helps more than it hurts--but it's not just in USNews, but also in terms of clerkships, law...
Quote: Originally Posted by kxk the H-bomb would definitely drop more panties, but perception within the industry, as well as the professional opportunities that come with it, definitely slants heavily towards yale. I agree that Yale is clearly #1, but its dominance tends to be overstated by the Internets (typically by OLs, who don't understand the legal profession). USNEWS, for example, reports that Harvard is ranked number #1 by law firms. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Concordia Really? There are about 800 in each class at HBS, and just over 200 at Yale. If you need help with the math, let me know. You can't really be this dense. The size of the entering class does not impact a school's selectivity the way that you think it does. Think about it. Harvard UG has a much bigger entering class than many schools. Pick a podunk local liberal arts college, for example, with an...