or Connect

Posts by Mighty Morris

Ah, yes ... my Henrys and my partner's Stephys were MTO make-ups through Shoe Healer. Those Hoylakes will burnish beautifully. 20% off is a good deal ... very tempting but I am just not in the market for boots right now.  Also (whisper it on here) but my next purchase is likely to be a pair of C&J Snowdons. MM
Please do. Are they an MTO? MM
I am sure that you haven't made a mistake princealbert.  I have a pair of MTO Henrys in 1001 ... they just get nicer and nicer.  This is an early pic: I also bought the Missus a pair of MTO Stephys in 1001:  Just need to find something for the cat now! MM
Yes, I agree with that. 1001 is the softest leather of the three and is just lovely.  Acorn is more hardy.  I like it a lot but it takes a while to take on a patina.  I have never had a C-Shade boot or shoe.  I would only do so if it was for a genuine work-boot or shoe, as it is a very hardy leather, and not for looks. EnglishShoes, I have never been to the Tricker's factory shop, so cannot comment on the service, but I cannot believe it would be better than Shoe...
I don't think that it would be sacrilege at all.  Do your thing and enjoy your boots the way you like them.  That, for me, is one of the joys of quality, organic materials. Of course, whatever you do depends on what you are looking for.  No point buying acorn boots if you want dark brown ... because they make those anyway.  But if what you want is a darker, burnished version of a lighter colour (if that makes sense) then use your skills and make something unique.  I don't...
How about these: http://www.trickers.com/collections/mens/jermyn_street_shop_collection/jermyn_st_country/country_shoes/shop_country_shoe_collection.htm in champagne suede. The tone looks warmer in the picture, they are grey to the eye.  I had a pair, but am not a big fan of grey shoes so ended up dying them. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but they are available off the shelf. MM
I think that will be too big a drop and your boots will be too tight.  I am no expert but I would be surprised if 8 1/2 isn't your size. My suggestion is that you contact Richard at Shoehealer who will be able to give you some sound advice. Best,MM
My pleasure. A good idea to practice if you are new to this, but don't be scared of making mistakes.  Just go gently .... any errors can be cleaned back. You aren't going to ruin those boots. All the best,MM
Thanks @Organika. I liked the result that you achieved so much that I have just done the same to a pair of Marron Woodstock's.  After sanding I simply applied some Crème Surfine and then, having let it soak in for half a day, I finished off with some Pâte de Luxe, a lighter brown followed by a mid brown.  They have buffed up a treat and look so much nicer. Grateful to you for sharing. MM
@wjames - Happy to tell you what I would do, but please forgive me if I am teaching you how to suck eggs or if you don't agree with some of my thoughts.  It is all very subjective.   All of the products that I am going to mention are by Saphir, manufactured in France by Avel.  They aren't cheap but they are worth every penny.  They are available from The Shoe Healer and A Fine Pair of Shoes ... and other places too.   I would start by cleaning the boots...