or Connect

Posts by BernieIsMyCat

I cuff most of mine. I never cuffed before getting into raw denim, but I got to appreciate the look, and I like to show off the selvedge. I did hem my Japan Black X Black and Grey Silks, and wear them both as pseudo dress pants.
No, no, 1000 times no. Each jean company's tag sizes are different. Measure your best fitting jeans, and compare to Gustin's Fit Guide. Assume the Gustin jeans will stretch 1" in the waist. This means they will feel too tight when they arrive, but will stretch out to become super comfortable after several days of wear.
   Hot soak should return the jeans to their original size. But if they stretched out before, they most likely will stretch again, unless you lost weight or changed physical activities.
Some people believe that vinegar will set the dye and reduce bleed. Levi's recommends vinegar for their 501 STFs for this reason. However, there was recently a discussion on this topic on Gustin's community board, and many people believe its a myth. Still, if you want to try it I don't think it will do any harm. I've never heard of vinegar being recommended as a softener. IMO, the best way to soften jeans is to just wear them :)
I have a number of Gustin jeans in both 30 straight and 30 slim. The top block on both straight and slim are nearly identical except for the lower rise on the slim. Although the slims sit lower on the hips, it's not enough of a difference to merit sizing up. You should go with 30 slim.
I had this problem because I wasn't used to low-rise jeans. I kept trying to hike up the waist. Once I accepted my fate and let the jeans sit lower, there was plenty of room in the crotch.
  I have Gustin and J Crew slim, both in Medium. I agree the fits are similar. My J Crew has a bit more room in the neck and upper chest than the Gustin.
I need to counter the requests for bigger thighs by saying that Gustin slims fit me perfectly in the waist, hips, calves, and cuff opening, but are 1" to 2" too big for me in the lower half of the seat and in the thighs. I am eagerly waiting for the often-promised Gustin skinny fit.   When Gustin is compared to the other brands that DsRyan23 mentioned in his post, I think the problem is that Gustin is in its early stages with just 2 fits, while the older jean companies...
 I have the Japan BlackXBlacks, never soaked or washed them, and I don't see any dye bleed. Also, fortunately, there is no sulphur smell.
This has been asked before, and the answer is unfortunately no.