or Connect

Posts by SkinnyGoomba

I think OPEC was a bit misguided with their plan. All told it probably isn't going to do much at all for their market share. It is causing significant grief for everyone who has anything to do wth oil though...
Rud Rasmussen is really impressive, I'm amazed that they can keep it up without absolutely insane pricing. Foo, the quality of lumber spec'd by danish brands is pretty high up there. I know Carl Hansen, for instance spec's lumber typically 150-200 years old before it's sawn for use. The top shelf stuff from them is typically ash or oak, even though many will be a premium for walnut. The ash and oak they use is very high quality, I would not be shocked if it is some of...
CNC replaces duplicator machines that have been in use for years to make legs and similar. PP Mobler uses them as well. Most of the top shops will finish by hand and do the upholstery by hand. Designers like Wegner designed for production, many of their methods are not condusive to a majority hand made product. They are designed to be partially hand made, partially machine made.
Were these always considered luxury goods? I wonder, as they retain the quality, or have in many cases improved the quality over time (with a few exceptions) and I believe that for the most part they have had to brand themselves with a luxury appeal to remain relevant with the people who do purchase them. I also believe that the chasm between high and low quality has been increased significantly in the past 50-70 years further pushing these brands into the luxury...
Move that decimal place one to the right
I have bonsai stands in my house for tropical bonsai. The Bonsai go outside every summer and rather than rearrange my whole interior I simply put some chinese pots on the stands, one is a rice container and the other is a wine vessel. Both of these are entirely useless as those objects currently, because I'm not going to store rice or wine in either of them.They could do a fine or miserable job of that intended purpose, but I'll never know, I just look at them and think...
I certainly agree, I think it can be a simple assessment. The implication of form follows function is that ornamentation reduces or somehow impedes the function or creation of the piece. That may be a worthwhile consideration for objects actually used in everyday life, but art glass and sculpture are hardly useful, instead their ornament by decoration or form alone are what they offer as function.I believe the assessment at that stage should be quality of form and...
I'm making attempts at design discussion here....minimally successful ones. Ethan I literally laughed out loud, in public, like a jolly baffoon, at that comment.
I have an Acura car that I drive 90% of the time, and an Mercedes SUV that my wife drives to/from work and I drive whenever we are driving as a family. There are some things to consider, when I'm driving my car I have to constantly attempt to look around large vehicles because it seems everyone in NJ drives an SUV or a truck.....everyone! That means when some idiot parks their car/truck/suv in a loading zone I have to drive 1/2 way into the oncoming traffic to see ahead...
Form follows Function seems to have applied to many lasting historical designs down to the most excruciating detail, especially when considering available materials and man hours. It applies very well to common everyday type work which needed to balance durability and economy. For instance when you have rice glue or hide glue to work with table leg or chair leg joinery looks a whole lot different than it does with modern glues. Take an example such as the 18th century...