or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

Listen, that with the 'false bottom' was a joke. If you are honest, you must admit the shoe looks like a shoe and a half in depth. Obviously, humour is not your strong point, otherwise you could have answered light-hearted "I wish it were, but those are the real feet, they do fill the entire room of the last."A tailor cannot change your figure, but a skilled one can make you look taller, slimmer (or whatever you desire). A bad tailor can make you look shorter or more...
Everything for a quiet life - The shoe is beautiful and doesn't look like a bathtub at all!
The basic rule of distortion is that a high view point shortens and a low view point lengthens. So, you have managed to change the rules of perspective. Congratulations!If you say so! - It's only the photography that makes a perfect and well-proportioned shoe to look like a bath tub.
The one thing DW has failed to mention is the curious depth (height) of the shoe. For a size 7 bespoke shoe, the back height would be about 60 mm (2 3/8 inches). In the photograph it looks as if there is an additional inch hidden somewhere. It is the enormous height of the shoe that makes it look so short and blobby.But is it really the last? Taking into account that the shoe is a size 7, therefore the owner will be not taller than about 5’7” (1.70m) and as a successful...
A side seam (straight down) would be perfectly possible, whether it is aesthetically pleasing might be another question.In a seamed whole-cut you can place the seam almost anywhere. JL (Northampton) did produce in 2009 a whole-cut with an "apple peel" pattern as one of their St Crepin models.On top of my head, I can think of two non-traditional ways of making a seamed whole-cut without a back seam:There is (a very rare bird, indeed) in English bespoke shoemaking a...
A two-piece counter with a centre-seam (and reinforced with a dog-tail) is the absolute pits. After all, what is a counter, if not an extended back-strap to avoid the back-seam. As my closer has done at times, you can put a dart into the lasting allowance, so, once the shoe is finished, that dart has been pulled underneath the 'waterline'.A proper back-seam (open and stitched-down) is a joy, presuming it is straight and in the centre.
The John Lobb St James’s shop we all know is not as old as it looks.The first store was opened in 1866 at 296 Regent Street (which is north of Oxford Circus). Subsequently (probably in the late 1800s) they moved down to 47 St James’s Street (which is near Piccadilly and on the other side of the Street). These premises were bombed-out during the Blitz and John Lobb moved to their current premises at 9 St James’s Street.So they have been occupying their shop for about 75...
That's the shoemaker the pictures come from: "the talented Mr W". He might, or might not, be the same one.I have no idea why "the talented Mr W" he has such an inquisitive mind and has to try everything (at least once).
Here are pictures of a truly seamless balmoral by a (not yet) famous bespoke maker: Now that is bravura shoemaking, pulling out all the stops!
Are you talking about these soles?http://www.styleforum.net/t/316071/antonio-meccariello-shoes/615#post_7261875I didn't post them, but I think I suggested the effect might have been achieved by using milk and ammonia.