or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

That might be again the difference between American and English terms:Here in the UK, a "belly-cut" is cut for maximum belly yield with the actual cut going through the back, left and right of the hornback strip, which might be used for a belt. Alternatively, a "hornback-cut" has the actual cut going through the belly to leave the back intact.http://www.kezieleather.com/#/crocodile-leather/4567499123
Here is a picture of a Teju lizard hide (bellycut):The large, square tiles appear in the centre and going further out (into the flanks of the animal) they turn into small round tiles.
The square scales are Teju lizard.http://www.kezieleather.com/#/teju-lizard-colours/4567509074
It's a grinning monkey, isn't it?
A manufacturer of anything can (and will) not offer every component/material that is available from suppliers worldwide'Museum calf' is a leather that has been antiqued and finished on the hide, taking out the risk you do have when working with (unfinished) crust leather. With crust leather, there is always the danger that certain sections might not respond to dye/finish as you hope they would, throwing up unexpected blemishes. G&G (and Edward Green) do work extensively in...
@NutcrackerNice feature and even nicer photographs. It was lovely to meet up with you and chat.And I thought that was Oprah (after hours)!
Those cheap fakes have come really a long way!
Whatever name F&S might use, the style is generally known as "Elastic on Instep"(the two quarters are held closely by an inch of elastic, which is covered by the vamp and it's tongue.Brings up bad memories of the 60s!
So, now you know the hole on a crocodile/alligator belly is not "where the animal got shot" (see this video at about 1:30)
Like you, I thought once a whole-cut loafer is laid onto the skin with the toe pointing towards the throat. But I was told that, that the correct layout for a shoe cut from the belly (one hide for each shoe), was the centre of the belly corresponding with the centre-line of the shoe and the toe pointing towards the anus. (Whether that is generally accepted or a peculiarity of English shoemaking, I wouldn't know.)On T4's picture you can see clearly the hole in the...