or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by bengal-stripe

I've used the wrong term: correct it is 'steel wool' or 'wire wool'.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_woolIn a fine grade it is far less abrasive than any semi-liquid polish which will incorporate some abrasive agent (usually ground minerals).
Cover the suede near the buckles with masking tape for protection and polish the buckles with fine steel wire.
It's an electric "iron" and it's main purpose is to smooth-out the upper leather while the shoes are still on the last.In the shoes shown, there is (presumably) another purpose. The warmth will help to open the pores and drive the staining deeper into the leather.
It is not only the last, but also the construction of the shoe that determines the width of the heel. If you make a shoe where the welt runs all around the heel (maybe even with 'Goiser' or 'Norwegian' welt) the heel will be wider than on an elegant narrowly cut heel. So it makes sense to include the width of the heel into your formula (whatever that might be). Otherwise the delicate heel of an opera pumps and the chunky heel of a heavy mountaineering boot would have the...
Well, I can't see the Neapolitan handiwork (which might well be there) in the photograph, nor can I comment (due to the way the pictures are cropped) on stylistic differences in sleeves or body.What I can see, the second coat has the gorge some two inches lower than the first one. To me the low-slung gorge is a typical Italian feature of the 1980 - 90s. It was Armani who dropped the gorge considerably and every Italian designer/manufacturer took it up. (Whether or not...
Cleverley in London will make a bespoke version for the scatter-brained or lazy, where the buttons are (presumably) non-functional and the boot is opened and closed with a zip. (I believe, David Beckham owns a pair of those.)
Yes, but presumably not so aggressive as in the picture.
As far as I know, the skins get sand-blasted to achieve the matte effect.
Shoe uppers are traditionally marked for left and right by cutting a little notch into the lasting allowance at the vamp. That notch, which cannot be seen in the finished shoe, is always placed on the inside.
But it's only a question of time, Japanese shoemakers will discover trunk shows and realize they can charge significantly more abroad than they can charge at home.I'll stick my neck out: in ten years time we'll have a dozen Japanese shoemakers criss-crossing the globe and taking orders.
New Posts  All Forums: