or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

In Europe a shoe with apron and a split toe is generally known as Norwegian (style).To complicate matters, there is also Norwegian construction, which can be used for almost any shoe style. In the States, the apron and split toe is known as Algonquin.I have no idea who was quicker off he mark: the Norwegians or the Algonquin.
In the left shoe, apron- and toe seam are fully hand-stitched with skin and tunnel stitch (or whatever term you prefer). The middle shoe is fully machine-stitched; the toe seam is "open" (like a back-seam) and the apron is laid on and stitched from above with "two passes (two rows of stitching). The right shoe has a decorative hand-stitch; the stitching is non-functional as neither toe- nor apron seam join two pieces of leather.
Those boots are bespoke or they are a bespoke sample. They would have been produced in their Paris workshop. Berluti employs about a dozen people exclusively for bespoke.For those who have taken a shine towards the boots, (which are likely to cost more than most people's family car), here is another picture:
I too was puzzled when I received mails that X or Y had given me "reputation". Now I believe it is just someone pressing the "helpful" or "thumbs-up" button which as been renamed as "reputation". Let's put it to the test: I have just clicked he thumb-up button on your post. If I have given you "reputation", then you'll know what it is.
Judging by the pictures, "sponge calf" is just another name for nubuck. Nubuck is a leather where the grain-side gets sanded, to give that velvety appearance. It's similar to suede (where the flesh-side is sanded). Nubuck and suede get treated the same way, use spays to give some protection and water proofing, (if necessary) clean with a foam cleaner. Brush with a suede brush to restore the nap. Do not use normal shoe polish or creams as they are designed for smooth...
I'm still amazed by the size of Scholte's estate. Putting the amount through an inflation calculator, £200,000 back in 1947(?) would be £7.5 million by today (certainly an amount not to be sneezed at).But if that amount had been invested in property, the value of the portfolio would have been immeasurably higher. I would guess, back in 1947 £500 would have bought you a little "three-up/two-down" terraced house (which, depending on the location, might fetch up to 400k) and...
Why restrict yourself to boring initials? Demand fully-fledged "pinwork" in the design of your choice!
Gosh.....I'm somehow relieved. Google did reveal there was another actor by the name of Charles Hawtrey.I had thought "sufficiently restrained in their tastes" would refer to the actor Charles Hawtrey, camp main-stay of the "Carry-on" films.
You probably can't do a lot about your thick and fleshy feet, but to get rid of hard skin and calluses there are plenty of gadgets and products on the market.
I think it is a very nice design and should be right up Maftei's street. I believe the "full brogue" look goes with the style and I probably wouldn't change it, although I would reduce the six eyelet-pairs down to the conventional five. There is an interesting design feature (if I have read the photograph correctly): the apron (only at Lobb in London they have "lakes" and "navvy-cuts"), doesn't go over the U-shaped sides of the vamp but under, the perforation is not on...