or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

They are most likely to have been made by Crockett & Jones.
Unlined suede jackets are quite common in Mediterranean countries. Like a sweater you slip them on when it gets a bit chilly in the evening after a warm day. Unlined suede lets you see the grain side which must be free of major faults. So the hides will need more careful selection then for a fully lined jacket. It's a mark of quality, not of cost cutting.
Actually a little boo-boo has slipped into the article, those boots are supposed to show Blake construction:Those boots are actually mine. They are hand-welted with bevelled waist and the finished boots have a hand-stitched outsole. But the picture shows them in an early stage and the uppers are temporarily “braced” (basted) for a fitting.The insole gets “blocked” (moulded) to the underside of the last, cut, holdfast gets cut and perforated. Then the upper is lasted and...
What!?! - 3D print only the leather parts? - You soon will be able to 3D print the entire shoe. You set-up your printer at night time, in the morning you have a new pair of shoes.All that welting stuff will be redundant!
Here they are:Although JR does not list the available thickness(es) on their site.But them prices, them prices in the States!.One importer offers them at double the price the tannery charges. Talking about excessive mark-ups.
That story begins in 1982 when John Hlustik bought the totally indebted EG for £ 1.00 as a going concern with the promise to continue trading as shoemaker. Recovery was not as easy as Hlustik might have thought and he sold the freehold of the Oliver Street factory to John Lobb (Hermes) at around 1986.A few years later there was a very unpleasant split with Hermes (who wanted to close the EG production) and EG moved into (very cramped) premises in Cowper Street. Maybe half...
I hope you realize, retail-price is not wholesale price. Your quoted $ 1,500 shoes will have a wholesale price of between $ 500 - 600.
That is very much in line with bespoke shoes.I don't know about 2003, but in 2005 the price for a bespoke shoes from one of the West-End firms (excluding Lobb, who always charged more) was around GBP 1,800. Now, some 10 years later price for bespoke shoes is a smidgeon short of GBP 3,000 (I'm not so up-to-date with the current prices, the 3k might even be exceeded by now).The wholesale price for EG/JLP/G&G is about the same as a skilled out-worker will earn for doing the...
Surely, the "Gentle Craft" must be lace making.
I believe, "Il Micio" (Hidetaka Fukaya) in Florence does produce only bespoke footwear - shoes that are made for a particular individual. In accordance with the client's measurements a personal last will be created. Inevitably those shoes will be expensive. http://www.ilmiciocalzature.it/