or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

Heel and sole edge have been stained transparently to show-off the various layers of leather in the heel. (The alternative would be a heavy, opaque layer of paint that covers everything.) I presume that mark might be some minor damage when the display model was rubbing against something. It is also possible that the leather did take the stain differently.Whatever it might be, the heel can be easily re-finished.
Here is an article on Mr Porter, featuring eight shoemakers working for eight different shoe factories in England; http://www.mrporter.com/journal/the-portfolio/the-shoemakers/64 Those eight, more or less, represent all the shoe companies left in Northamptonshire. The only notable absence is JL&Co (John Lobb). I deliberately call them shoemakers and not workers in a shoe factory, as these men (and the women who work in the business) take as much pride in their work...
Solito and Avitabile are due to be in London February 26-28 and thereafter either April 9-11 or 16-18 (can't quite remember).
My first sewing machine (not for leather) was one of those hand-cranked thingies (presumably from about the days of WW1). - They're a doddle to control - no motor running away with you.We can ask shoefan - he observed that 'mysterious Mediterranean fellow' at work (so he said).
"Our Ken" (the Cypriot closer) went on a holiday, maybe five years ago and never returned, leaving his customers right in the brown stuff. At the time there were various rumours flying around what could have happened to him. Maybe now the facts are known (but not to me), what actually did happen and why he did not want or could not come back to England.But at the time there was a big confusion in the bespoke shoe trade why that guy had just gone AWOL.For those who haven't...
This I cannot believe!He might not have his phone number published.................but no phone at all, when today even six-year old kids carry their own mobile phones .
"Cool" is a very recent (and fashionable) meaning, used by kids.If you talk about yourself, it might mean "horny", but if you talk about someone else, it means "lecherous".
Nice shoes..............but, by golly, it must have been cold up north! I'm shivering by just looking at the pictures
They are samples to show off the various possibilities of colour and patina.If I remember correctly they are actually quite small (all identical in size) and I would say the soles are cemented and not pump-stitched or blind-welted..
But which profile do you prefer?Vibram has dozens of designs (profiles) in their production program, including a dead-ringer for Dainite.http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/REPAIR-2010/Repair-School/Lifestyle/Goodyear-Construction