or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

Janne Melkersson, a very wise shoemaker (actually, a very wise man) said once: "Ask that same question five shoemakers and you'll get six different answers." Never take the first answer as authoritative.John Lobb (London) has a huge showcase of sample shoes going back many years. Some presumably even to the time before WWI, while the majority were produced in either the 1930s or 1950/60s. It might be interesting to check whether the early samples used a stitch-prick, and...
I didn't dismiss TM's complaint, but neither did I address it, as I did find your reply so OTT, dismissing a whole technique and not just an individual result as sub-standard.You run the fudge wheel once over the welt to mark your stitches, then you stitch and thereafter you run the fudge wheel again to finish the whole thing off. It can happen (although it shouldn't) that the second run comes out of sinc and you make another row of indentations which does not match the...
Oh, that's good to know!So, you didn't mean to imply that John Lobb London (after all, you've claimed them to be your favourite shoemakers) and all the other firms that use a fudge wheel, have a need to find (and maintain) an indifferent, gullible and ignorant clientèle to stay in business.Silly me, how could I assume that.(But saying one thing and meaning something different is too Ann Coulter-ish for me.)
Could it be the word "fudge" refers to the older "merge together" meaning if the word?Really?!?Stitch prick - Materna, ViennaFudge wheel - Marquess (Shoji Kawaguchi), TokyoFudge wheel - MMO (Much Maligned Outworker), EnglandYou do like your bit of colleague-bashing, don't you?
Harrods used to stock Isaia (or Isaia had a concession in Harrods) but that stopped earlier this year. As far as I know, there are no retailers in the UK, although some Isaia items are available from Mr Porter.Which is a great regret to me, as Isaia seems to be the only ready-to-wear manufacturer who can cope with my extremely square shoulders. (Everyone else makes me look like a quarterback.)
Maybe it's a term solely used in Central-Europe.They have form inventing their own English terminology: in Germany a mobile- or cell-phone is known as a ""Handy".
Congratulations to your customer and his well-shod wedding.
A&A (Alan and Anthony) Crack do not own Charles F Stead, but the Crack family does. Their father Ernest bought Stead (in the 60s, or so) and runs it with his two elder sons Douglas and Peter. (For all I know, Ernest might be retired by now.) The two younger sons did set up A&A Crack in Northampton.Another internationally well known name for non-split "reverse calf" is "hunting suede", which Stead does not seem to use.
That is my understanding. The wreck was discovered back in 1973 and up to maybe eight years ago the original group of divers visited the ship every summer to salvage more hides. But of course, those divers had gotten old, so those that remained stopped further visits, despite the fact that a considerable number of hides are still down there. The legal owner of the wreck is the Duke of Cornwall (Prince of Wales) and I believe there are no plans at the moment to grant...
Yes, I saw it!Would make nice loafer with the apron in beaver tail and the rest of the shoe in smooth calf of the same colour.