or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

There is always Jun Kuwana - King Croesus of the bespoke shoe world.http://homepage2.nifty.com/cobblers-web/Apart from one pair by Koji Suzuki, Kuwana hasn't had any commissions from Japanese shoemakers. Most of his bespoke shoes come from Cleverley and Fosters. He presents them with many detailed photographs and English descriptions.There is also a blog where he talks about shoes and fashion in general. The blog is Japanese only, but if you access it through Google...
New leather sole have a "finish". They get stained/painted to look attractive. That finish sits just on the surface and will wear off very quickly. That doesn't mean, the substance of the leather itself will be affected and wear out at the same speed as the finish wears off.
Did Edward Green throw the watch in as a freebie? (I never got more out of them than a tin of polish!)I'd almost thought it was a genuine Audemars Piguet 'Royal Oak'.Isn't it amazing how convincing those cheap Chinese replica watches look .
Genuine, but not of recent vintage:
Presumably that shoe (1910), in the collection of the Northampton shoe museum, is one of the seamless whole-cuts made by this Northampton guy . It might have been an entry for one of the numerous shoemaking competitions, which were very popular in England until the 1930s. The shoes are unworn and the entry might have been just a single shoe (traditionally the left one).
That's right! - All-American girl of French descent (although a bit empty in the head)Here are two more samples: [[SPOILER]]
It's also called a 'Greek foot' and is considered a sign of beauty. Do you know whose foot that is?
The shoe museum in Northampton has on permanent display a seamless whole-cut made in the early 1900s by some chap who worked in one of the shoe factories and produced seamless whole-cuts as a hobby in his spare time. (I believe, the museum has a whole collection of his work in storage). If he did numerous pairs over a number years, he must have become quite good at it.I would guess, this man was not the inventor of the seamless whole-cut. Presumably idea and execution have...
As I have said, that overhanging toe is the characteristic element of the ‘Haferlschuh’, a shoe style which is part of the traditional costume in the alpine regions of Austria and Germany. Allegedly the toe shape did evolve to avoid the wearer’s toes being wedged in the toe box of the shoe while walking down the mountains.https://halfs.de/
No, not necessarily! There is an insole placed underneath the wooden last and in a hand-made shoe you can cut the insole either to continue flaring out (then the slope will go way down to the welt) or cut the insle straight at a right angle, alternatively, you can even undercut the insole then the curve of the toe reverses and you have an under-slung toe.(I presume that under-slung bit is what you call the 'hollow'.)In a machine-made shoe, the insole is presumably cut...