or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

The style is known as "Oxford" and every shoemaker/manufacturer has this style in their program. (Oxford is also the name of the family of shoe designs: variations on the same theme, but with more features like perforation or a wing-tip toe cap.) Every shoe has two components that decide the look of a particular shoe: the last and the pattern. The last is the form (wood or plastic) over which the shoe gets built and defines the internal space of the shoe. The Carmina last...
"Frankenstitch" (as far as I know, a term coined at this forum here) indicates a reversed hand-stitch (executed from the underside) which just shows a row of dimples. Like the stiches on Frankenstein's monster where the various parts are stitched together.Example: GazianoGirling style "Antibes"You've got enough thumbs-up votes ("reputations"), to qualify for this level.
Met him last week in London here: our American members "Mr Claymore" and "poorsod" happened to be in town. So a London contingent consisting of "Cantabrigan" and yours truly met up with them. We we were also joined by the two rising stars of the bespoke shoe trade, Daniel Wegan (G&G) and Nicholas Templeman.I think, I can speak for all participants and say it was a very enjoyable evening. Mr Claymore is a lovely guy and (not only by the way he dresses) a larger than life...
I'll be calling-in later today to say 'Hello' and have a look at your stuff.
It is actually quite heroic cutting.There are the sides which are cut without a back seam: just one piece of leather, wrapped around the heel and closed with a short skin-stitched seam at the toe. Then the apron and tongue piece is laid-on and stitched-in by hand.So, the entire boot consists of just two pieces.
Those boots are not stocked anywhere, only available on-line.It's an extremely limited edition of 12 pairs each in two colours/leathers.Price is pretty steep at GBP 1,400 (USD 2,000)http://shop.therake.com/products/mahogany-alpine-calf-urban-commando-boots
The shoes are very nice indeed (I saw them the other day on NT's facebook page) and your enthusiasm is understandable.But wearing them in bed - isn't that taking it a bit too far?
Here is a picture of a Berluti shoe, showing the thread loop to prevent the tongue from going walkabouts.
Yes, they are Edward Green. Judging by the 4-digit production number, they are of late 80s vintage.Presumably the brand is Cole Haan. EG did work for them around that time. I have a pair from the same period (production number 3955) which were marked with "Cole Haan made by Edward Green".
Or, these days far more likely, which version of English your spell-checker adheres to.Whenever I type "labor", "humor", "honor", the thing screams in pain until I change it to "labour", "humour", "honour".