or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

This is the inside of a hand-welted insole.There is a row of dimples around the periphery of the sole, which you can easily feel inside a shoe by running your fingertips over them. There are also nail holes from blocking the insole and from lasting the uppers (which a factory-made shoe will not have). The leather is from J&FJ Baker in England (who probably produce the finest insole leather in the world) but who supply insole shoulders not heavier than 7-9 irons (3.5 - 4.5...
It ain't "Nachtmarkt" (Night market) but "Naschmarkt" (Munching market) and is a very popular venue for Viennese and tourists alike.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaschmarktThe Maftei shop is near the Mariahilfer Straße which is the main (every-day) shopping street in Vienna. (Kärtner Straße and Graben are more exclusive.)Nothing wrong with the lokality, there is even the famous Café Sperl nearbyhttp://www.cafesperl.at/
I’m kind of surprised that your shoemaker (Meccariello, I presume) has aligned the toe of the shoe towards the throat and does not have the toe pointing towards the “vent” (bum-hole to me and you), as I believe is standard practice. In a belly-cut hide you have about 2 or 3 inches above the hole the “umbilical scar” which forms an elongated star shape on the centre line. This feature is in the alligator particularly pronounced and is usually placed in a prominent spot (toe...
The question was, will a stitched rubber sole fall-off when the stitching is worn down. Don't forget, the profile is about 2 or 3 mm higher than the base of the sole. It will take a lot of walking before those 2 or 3 mm are worn down. But even when the stitches are worn down, there is in addition the cement, so you will need a second element to fail before the sole comes off.These shoes are not John Lobb. I believe 'jujuoo11' picked up a picture (any old picture) from the...
Using modern adhesives,the stitching is more for historical reasons than an absolute necessity. It's like wearing your trousers with braces and a belt! Here you are!
The vast majority of rubber soles, like the entire Vibram range, are simply cemented (glued). English rubber soles get glued and stitched. I believe the stitching was necessary when these soles were initially invented (early 20th century) as adhesives that were capable to hold shoe soles did not exist back then. Compounds strong enough for the out-soles of footwear entered the market after WW1 and, of course, in the intervening years have been greatly improved.So the...
“Opanka” is a very ancient construction method, primarily from the Balkans but also used elsewhere. It’s very similar to genuine moccasin construction. Traditionally the sole comes up the side (but not as high as in a moccasin). There have been machine methods invented to produce opankas and apparently they were very popular in Central Europe as cheap utilitarian footwear until WWII (just as clogs were).I presume that this fashionable interpretation of the classic opanka...
In 1968 all-digital phone numbers were introduced in London, replacing the STD codes naming the local exchange. (In this case HYDe Park - 6767 became 473- 6767). In April 1990 the code 01 (London) was replaced with the code 07 (inner London) and 08 (outer London). Your wallet was produced between 1968 and 1990. Asprey still has the same phone number, due to various changes in the code it is now 020 7493 6767.Does it have properly-sized slots for Credit Cards? If not, it...
Google is your friend! - Here you are:http://www.tallia-delfino.com/en
Hi Robin, when we met in May of last year in London, I remember you telling me that you were working on opening a shoe store in Taiwan. Although I had seen some photographs of the very impressive‘Oak Room’, I failed to make the connection between you and the store. Now that I know who the proprietor of the ‘Oak Room’ is. I can tell all members who are within the vicinity, they must visit the store, where they will come across the nicest and most knowledgeable shoe-buff...