or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

Greatest problem will be getting hold of leather in the correct colour to cut the strings from: about 3 mm wide and maybe 60-70 cm long. The new ones will have to be longer than the old ones to make a nice bow. Assuming you got that, you will have to devise a method to pull the string through. You could, for example, stitch the new laces to the old ones. As you pull out the old laces, they will pull the new ones through. Do not pull out the old strings "just like that":...
The French do not have the system of self-employed outworkers (although Delos seems to have done a few outworking jobs for some of the Parisian houses, which might have been to cover a staff shortage or Delos might have brought extra skills which the houses had not covered).Not using outworkers (or only occasionally) does not mean these firms are on-man-bands. In general the large French firms employ their staff on a permanent basis. Delos told me there are 12 or 15 people...
Your tailor, shoemaker, (bespoke) rifle maker or whatever will be ultimately the firm and not one (or more) individuals. That’s why these firms frequently call themselves tailors, boot makers, rifle makers (in plural).Had jerrybrowne (or his dad) commissioned a suit from Poole 40 years ago, a few of the Poole people working back then might still be working for the company; had he commissioned a suit 60 years ago, nobody from that time will have been left in today’s Poole...
Oh, they've marked the space where the wings are going to sit!Will those be the little ones, style "Cherub" or the really big ones, style "Archangel"?Fly them in good health!
Maybe there is a comparison!This shoe was done by one of the derided English outworkers. - He has been a (bottom) maker for 35-odd years.He doesn’t make lasts, he doesn’t make patterns, he doesn’t do any closing (at least not professionally), but if he wants to and if the fancy takes him, he can do all these things, do them well and make a shoe from scratch.Starting point was a kiddie’s last, which he rasped down to the proportions of an adult foot and from there he went...
I believe that's the boot. It was made by a Munich shoemaker who goes by the name of "Schuh Bertl". He had an exhibition of his "one piece shoes" in 2010 and the text states he wanted to take them on European-wide tour. No idea, if he did go ahead with this plan.http://www.museum-hauenstein.de/schuh_museum/Ausstellungen/-%20A%20R%20C%20H%20I%20V%20-/Schuhk%C3%BCnstler%20Bertl/If I remember correctly the boot leg is formed by the (uncut) cow leg, so the vamp must be part of...
Does that sound like modesty? [[SPOILER]]
Here you are!
The social profile of people entering the bespoke shoe trade has changed. Fifty or more years ago it would have been working class boys, aged 14 or 15 straight from school. George Cleverley's family sold polish and shoe laces from a market stall, presumably by the age of 10, George would have worked on the stall. Shoemaking was quite a low-status (and low-paid) job and many youngsters who had started in shoemaking would drop out after a few years to pursue something...
Once again I take issue with some of DW's statements. (Oh well, I have form.)Is a one-man (or mom-and-pop) shop likely to produce excellence or mediocrity?The great work has always come from the great houses. In shoemaking that would be Hellstern in Paris, Tuczek in London or Scheer in Vienna. The show-stopping dressmaking it would have been produced by the big couture houses like Balenciaga or Saint Laurent. For men's bespoke work it would be Huntsman in London, London...