or Connect

Posts by bengal-stripe

Wear them in good health!
Watch the video "Saint Crispin's - the whole process" here.From 9:12 minutes on, you'll see the waist being pegged:
At least, that settles that!
Not forgetting punching the eyelets, presumably while the shoe is still on the last (otherwise it would be far too wobbly). You want to get your hole through upper leather and lining, but not trough the tongue. How do you insert something protective (wood, leather or plastic) between facing and tongue when there is virtually no space?I can see it much better working on a Derby as you can move back the facings to a much greater extend."Curiouser and curiouser" cried Alice...
Why didn't anyone advise that chap that something better could be done to his shoes?That "restoration" is hardly 'weird and wonderful', just downright weird!
The shoes are in classic moccasin construction, where one piece of leather goes all under the foot and up the sides. A second piece (the 'apron') covers the top of the foot. The seam you see is the constructional one that holds the shoe together. As a moccasin (where sole and actual shoes are from the same leather) is very vulnerable on modern road surfaces (we don't walk long stretches over grassland anymore) an additional outsole gets attached to make the shoes stronger.
I have seen it (occasionally) on 'black tie' oxfords and I quite like it, as the matte, ribbed texture gives a nice contrast to the high-shine patent- or smooth leather. If I ever were to commission a pair of evening shoes (highly unlikely,as I don't have a dinner jacket right now and I feel no urge to get one) that's probably something I would choose.chacun à son goût
Here is an illustration of various edge treatments:Grosgrain/Petersham ribbon gets sometimes used as 'French binding' on evening shoes, as the texture picks up the texture on other parts of the formal outfit (lapel facings, ribbon down the trouser legs.)
Pricking irons (the fork-like tool) mark the desired distance of the stitches, but do not cut the actual hole; that's the job of the awl. Pricking irons come in various configurations,6 / 8 / 10 / 12 etc. stitches per inch and you place the tool onto the leather and give it a gentle hammerblow. Each prong will leave a small indentation in the leather which shows where to place the awl.You do the marking first while the leather is still flat on the workbench.Then you start...
That's good to hear! - I was already worried you might have to go without shoes..