or Connect

Posts by matthewh

I've had my Iron Works boots for a little over a year now. I've got both versions and wear them a lot. I wear the cap toe version to the office some but wear them to do work around the house as well. The Cordovan are my favorite though. I like the way they look and they are really comfortable. I wear them to the office a couple of times a week and on weekends. I generally do not wear them to do outside work, but this past weekend I had a few things to do and forgot I was...
 Some heel slip is normal is new leather boots. As they break in, and the leather softens, this will go away. When I first got my Katahdin's they were a little tortuous to wear because they were stiff, but the fit was good. (I went true-to-wise.) LL Bean's awesome return policy helped me decide to keep them. The boots great now. I happen to be wearing them today.  BTW, thicker socks and lacing tighter will help with heel slip. The main thing is if they fit your toe area...
 I have both versions of the Katahdin Iron Works boots and both have exactly the same thing with the heel. I noticed it when I first bought them and was a little concerned but since these are from LL Bean I decided not to do anything about it. LL Beans' customer service is great and they'll stand behind their products, no questions asked. I'm actually wearing the cordovan version at work today and just noticed that the small crack is even visible on one boot without...
A little heel slip (for boots) is normal, especially when boots are new. Typically, as the sole breaks-in and becomes more flexible the slippage will decrease. I simply use thicker socks. Merino wool hiking socks like Smartwool or LLBean Cresta have a thickened heel and a little extra padding on the bottom. Also be sure the forefoot laces are tight enough.
 I've never owned any of the Heritage line. Just looking at pictures though, the Katahdin is closer to the Homestead boot (because of the cap toe) but still different. They each have different hardware, sole and welt stitching. The leather looks slightly different (can't tell for sure) and its my understanding that the Heritage boots don't come with an insole. I'm no expert on the types of leather but to me, crazy horse leather seems to be mostly about the texture. It not...
FWIW, here's my first Chippewa boots. My dad bought these for me when I was a teen, circa 1980.     These boots saw 15-20 years of pretty much only outdoor use and abuse, hardly any pavement. Beside cleaning, about once a year I treated them with Mink Oil. The Mink Oil made them kind of soft over time and was never really great for waterproofing. I don't use Mink Oil any more, but these have lasted and the Mink Oil did a decent job of preserving them.   They're a...
 You may want to look thru the thread for the Katahdin Iron Works boots. (http://www.styleforum.net/t/144358/calling-all-llbean-katahdin-iron-works-boots-owners ). The Katahdins are made by Chippewa and have a similar leather. There's lots of good photos in that thread which show how the leather reacts to different treatments. Both Obenauf's LP and Sno-Seal are good products for waterproofing but they will change the look and texture of the Crazy Horse leather. Some people...
If you don't know about Compeed patches, you might want to get some. Its sold by Band-Aid Brand, usually at a drug store or grocery store next the regular band-aids. Its the best stuff for covering blisters while they heal. You can leave it on for a few days at a time. Awesome stuff.
Mink Oil shouldn't ruin any leather. The way it softens leather takes a long time as long as its not applied too often. Years and years of using Mink Oil has over softened some items I have. My suggestion is that if you like what you've already purchased, just keep using what you have. When its gone, or a year from now, if you want to try something else, then try it then. As long as you're not slogging thru mud and ankle deep water for long periods, Mink Oil should be fine.
I'm kind of experimenting with it right now. I've been trying different things in small, less visible, spots on my boots, like around the heel or near the top of the ankle. I've mainly tried stuff on my Kathadin Iron Works cap-toe boots. I like the texture of the leather on these boots and wanted to preserve that. What I've found so far is that both Obenaufs LP and Nikwax darken the leather. The Obenuafs though leaves and tacky / sticky texture. This seems to lessen after...