or Connect

Posts by matthewh

Yeah, I was aware of most of those. Right now though, these Red Wing chukkas are easily the most expensive boots I've purchased.I figure they are an investment that should last many years but don't know if I'll ever spend more on shoes.
Thanks for all the great info. I may try either the 10875 or 10877 in the future. Right now my chukka's still have a lot of wear in them. I had noticed the insole of the 595 being Poron and wondered if it was still the same underneath. I like that the 595 is leather lined but don't like the outer leather they use. I really like the Briar Oil Slick on the 3141 and overall the Heritage chukkas are just a nicer looking design. Regarding sizing, when I was a kid (late 70's) my...
 I'm curious to know how you'll like these compared to the regular heritage line. I considered getting the 595 chukka because it comes in a B width. I like the look of the 3141 much more though and decided to go with those. They're comfortable under foot but they could be narrower for me. My narrow foot has a lot of side to side movement, especially if walking on a slop. I've experimented some with thin insoles to take up some volume. It helps, but they all seem to...
 Mine are size 11, which is true to size for me. The toe is rather narrow looking. I got these though because I have a narrow foot and Red Wing Heritage said that the 210 last runs narrow.
Beginning break-in, first wearing outside: Classic Chukka 3141  
Thanks for the reply. I've been able to find some other photos online that show the same marks. Looking closer, I think they're actually empty holes. So I assume they are left from holding things together during production and won't be an issue.
Is this normal?   I ordered my first pair of Red Wings, the 3141 chukkas. I was looking them over and ran my hand down the footbed and felt a burr. Looking inside there appears to be the ends of some staples poking up. I pushed with my thumbnail and they are solid pieces like the ends of a steel staple.   In the photos its the little pairs of of dots. Its the same in each boot and there are two in each footbed. I'm concerned that these will poke thru more as the insole...
Anyone have experience with the "Modern Suburban" chukka?   I'm mainly interested in the footbed and lining. I've read that they have a leather footbed but can't tell if its only the heel, with texon in the forefoot. I'm also curious to know if any of these Chippewa's have cork under the footbed. The Chippewa boots I have require a removable insole to be comfortable. These are also supposed to have a leather vamp lining instead of the typical cotton drill...
I think they are pretty close on sizing. I prefer the sole on the bushacre. It feels more planted when walking, its easier to clean, doesn't pick up debris like the crepe and it grips better when wet. I haven't had any structural issues / failures with my bushacres. However, there's still something really classic and great about the  look of the ODB with the crepe sole. As others have noted too, the quality of the uppers is better on the ODB. The biggest issue for me is...
I've had good luck with Bick 4 for light conditioning without changing color.http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Conditioner-Bick-Bickmore-since/dp/B002HOK50M Its just a light conditioner, I don't think it has any water repellant properties. Be sure to test in a small less visible spot first to know if you're ok with the results. Lexol is good for cleaning.