or Connect

Posts by nh10222

It's not a deal-breaker for me but it does bug me and I will mention it, because it shows a lack of attention to detail and/or skimpiness. The more expensive the shoes, the less forgivable it is. Carlos Santos is of course at the cheaper end of the market. I started using ex German Army boot bags for my Bonafe, Cliff Roberts boots et al. but found 100% cotton pillowcases to be a very cheap and adequate substitute.
  I think leather has a higher thermal permeability than rubber, which is advantageous in some circumstances and not in others. In hot weather, walking on hot surfaces, my feet tend to get hotter with thin leather soles. In some cases I can literally feel the hot pavement through the soles with every step, which is not particularly pleasant. Similarly, in a cold environment, my feet get colder faster with thin leather soles. My feet cool down quickly if I enter a cool,...
 I think the simple fact is that most of us either cannot afford or are not willing to drop the kind of cash required to get an entire rotation of top quality, environmentally-friendly-as-can-be footwear for all dress codes. I'm still aware of some of the unfortunate realities of the choices I make as a consumer but in the end other considerations tend to take precedence. A big chunk of my collection is hand-welted with oak bark tanned soles. As for the leather, I'm not...
It wasn't news. I'm sure most regulars have seen similar discussion on here and elsewhere online before. My conclusion hasn't changed: while it is a concern, I'm not going to stop buying average leather shoes from average makers, with leather or rubber soles.But there was some truth in the message of the original post, wasn't there? That is, toxic or environmentally harmful chemicals are involved in the production of some leathers and shoes generally, the avoidance of...
In that case, I'm glad it wasn't my bullshit. That was part of Nick V's post.The trouble is that much of the time we don’t know what we are getting. Most of us are here because we like leather shoes, with or without leather soles. If they are more environmentally friendly than fully synthetic running shoes, and don't leech oestrogens into our bodies, that's a bonus. Fact of life: many industrial processes are dirty and/or toxic. It won't stop me from buying shoes.
They look pretty sleek; hopefully, they're not too slick. It's a pity they will be C&J only as I'm not a C&J man, leaving me with Dainite and Commando.It's a pity something supposedly so natural and beautiful also has a dark and dirty side. It makes me feel better about having rubber soles in my collection. If average leather uppers are also a potential problem, it seems we can't win if we want to enjoy average offerings from average makers.
William Lennon 78NLD - first wear These boots had a slightly different feel to their B5 cousins, largely due to the different style and positioning of hobnails, but the overall experience was similar. Note well Avoid wearing hobnail boots if you expect to encounter and fraternize with attractive women. Within the space of an hour I slipped twice while being eyed-off by good-looking girls, which was slightly humiliating to say the least. Moreover, slowing to a cautious...
William Lennon B5 sockliner detachment   My three year old B5s saw wear for the first time yesterday. It was a pleasant hour-long experience for me (mixed with a few moments of sheer terror due to hobnail-induced slippage), but after their removal my socks felt sticky around the heel. At the time I paid little attention to it but inspection of the boots this morning revealed why. It appears that the sockliners became detached during yesterday's excursion. Their...
 As a fan of MTO boots, I regret to advise that with British makers and MTO it's getting to the stage at which one can't even throw his money away. Over the past few years a number of those who were once happy to do single pair MTO have started to refuse such orders by my established channels (via trusted vendors), despite still offering MTO programmes in theory, despite their ability to add a hefty surcharge to the RTW price and despite an acceptance of long lead times by...