or Connect

Posts by jacksonn

Personally I'm not a big fan of the womenswear items in that shoot but I usually really like his women's clothing, so I'm prepared to hold judgement. Menswear-wise I'm hoping for better than I've already seen - and I'm sure there will be plenty. Will visit the shop in two weeks time, so hope to see some good items first hand. Not massively inspired by SS16 so far though - although as ever with Cabourn it makes a world of difference to see/handle the items close up.
Much as a like MH I often get a feeling, looking at the mens collections, that there's a bit too much of an "on the way home from school" vibe going on with it. But as ever there are some nice pieces there.
 I think the mixed denim shirt/jacket is great - I'd happily own one, but I'd probably like to grab it at discount because it'll be very long on me. That's the issue with the cut, for me. That said Nigel seems to wear it as a jacket and I could make that work for me. Or I could aggressively wash it and get some shrinkage. Going by his instagram, Nigel's washing a lot of items these days and obviously thinks this is a good thing. There is also a new pic up there of an...
I've very recently acquired the workwear blazer from the current collection. Very pleased with it. Great design touches yet pretty hardcore minimalism. Taped seams inside. It does very much resemble a 'real-life' workwear item. Quite a boxy fit even in small but that's a good thing with this piece.  
I think the Mallory crazies look way better in real life than they do on website images In fact the same goes for a lot of Cabourn items, especially AW stuff: you don't quite get how good they are until you handle them.
 If you just want the beeswax cotton re-waxed, you could send it to Otters re-waxing service (just google them). I recently did this with a SS14 Canadian Jacket, which is beeswax cotton, and they did a really good job using their own special product. This is a new generation version of beeswax which performs just as well but doesn't contain certain additives. If you wanted to do it yourself I'm sure they can sell you the wax - probably a lot better than using Barbour. I...
Update: Otters have done a superb job on this. The jacket (Canadian SS14 washed army) looks better than it did new, frankly. Loads of character in the new wax.
I've had many pairs of APC - I'd advise that you cold soak them in the bath as a first 'wash'. Agitate any areas that need attention but otherwise leave them to soak. There will still be shrinkage, but it won't be a severe as a machine wash, and the waist will stretch back fully. Other areas like thighs will stretch back but not so much. A machine wash almost turns NS into PS and the size will not come back. A lot is said about stretching with APC jeans. In my experience...
 Thank you Nick. Already done it and already had a great, detailed reply outlining not only the fact that this is perfectly do-able, but also the exact treatment the jacket will receive. For less money than Johnson's charged - including postage. (Gary from Otters was all too familiar with Johnson's related horror stories.) Johnson's should not be offering a service that they know next to nothing about. And by that I mean their front of house staff as well as those behind...
Well I said I'd let you know how Johnson's cleaners got on with re-waxing my SS14 washed army Canadian Jacket. The answer is it was a totally pathetic experience, with them taking three weeks to inform me that the re-waxing service have refused to do the job on the grounds that the jacket has "no lining". Whether it has a lining or not is completely immaterial to me. The jacket is a waxed jacket. It is supposed to be waxed. I thought I'd made it plain in the shop that I...