or Connect

Posts by cvac

Got a pair of black cherry GTs from shoebuy.com today. Problem: the finish is noticeably cracked on one of the boots, the other to a lesser degree. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm exchanging them for what will hopefully be a pair without this problem on the second try. I explicitly told customer service to inspect the next pair before shipping them out to me.
Hard to tell from the pics, but those don't look like real grenadine. They look like some kind of pebbled textured woven silk.
I've done this before with AE conditioner/cleaner as it will take the color out (b/c it's a cleaner) if you apply it directly and leave it for more than just a little bit. Try wiping down the shoes with a damp cloth, letting it dry. Then brush with a horsehair brush, then apply shoe cream and polish. Should be good to go after that.
+1 on leaving it alone. Waist suppression on a duffle just won't look right. If your duffle coat is roomy, that just means you can wear it over a suit or sportcoat.
I thought I would comment on a recent purchase from M.Charles. Apparently his definition of "fine" or "excellent" condition is a little different from most people. Both of the ties I purchased arrived with stains and one was misshapen at the blade. I contacted him privately to ask for a refund upon receipt of the returned ties and he refused. I would exercise caution when buying from this seller. I buy lots of things online and even sell things occasionally with no hassles...
Just bought a pair of GTs online and now I need some boot socks. I need something that will wick away moisture like a smartwool sock, but is not too thick (gets too hot indoors) or as thin as a dress sock I wear with dress shoes (would cause blisters in boots). Smartwool is confusing because there are so many types and I don't really have any experience with them. Any suggestions for specific models of socks would be appreciated.
Just bought a pair of GTs online and now I need some boot socks. I need something that will wick away moisture like a smartwool sock, but is not too thick (gets too hot indoors) or as thin as a dress sock I wear with dress shoes (would cause blisters in boots). Smartwool is confusing because there are so many types and I don't really have any experience with them. Any suggestions for specific models of socks would be appreciated.
I have a NOS vintage Gant tie that I like a lot. No idea about the current stuff.
Find a new tailor. The job on the pants looks terrible. Are you wearing the pants at the proper height on your real waist? They should not hang from the hips. I would definitely have the pants cuffed. Overall fit is impossible to assess without better pictures. You need to take full length pics from the front, side and back.
I prefer flat fronted pants, but there is no way I'm getting rid of cuffs. I like my trousers to be cuffed. Overall I think pleats vs. flat fronts and cuffs or plain bottoms really comes down to personal preference. Funny, plain bottoms were popular in the 80s. I wouldn't put too much stock in BB ads or displays. Often you'll see them show jackets with the bottom button done up.