or Connect

Posts by cvac

If you call the AE Shoe Bank in Wisconsin, you can get the shoes I linked for $129, because they're a discontinued model. AE can still resole or recraft the shoes when you wear them down even though they are discontinued. Park Avenues are a good choice, but since wearing the same shoes everyday is not a good idea, I'd rather have 2 pairs for under $300 than one pair of PAs for $320. If you must have the PAs, search around for an online coupon. Recently shoebuy.com was...
The Hickey suit you described is far better quality than the others. Get that if it fits, I'd say. Like the other guy said, keep your receipt and look the suit over carefully with the tailor to see if there are any flaws you couldn't pick up on in the store. If the suit is fine, you got a really good deal.
Look for a watch with a sapphire crystal - the crystal is the glass on the face of the watch. Mineral crystals will scratch more easily while sapphire is much more durable. Also, make sure the bracelet on the watch has solid links. Many cheaper watches will have hollow links that are disguised as solid. Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell without examining the watch in person or asking the manufacturer. You could always just go for a leather strap and avoid this...
I would also recommend passing on all three of those suits. I'm not sure how "short limbs" are such a problem. Any tailor can easily shorten the sleeves of the jacket and inseam of the trousers. If you like the current suits you have, you may be better off just having your suits re-tailored to fit you as you are now. It shouldn't be too much trouble to bring in the waist of the pants and jacket.
Are they willing to adjust the house style into something a bit more conservative? These are way, way too fashion forward for someone "entering the professional world". I might be interested myself at some point if the could do a suit without the ultra skinny lapels and too short jacket. Quote: Originally Posted by shawndo Try these guys out. http://thickasthievesla.com/buy.html Last I heard, they were at $400 for SF members. (Might have gone...
If you have a good tailor, they should be able to take in the pants a couple of inches in the waist with no problems. There is no reason to "search high and low" for a matched suit with pants that will be exactly the right size right off the rack. Like some other said, I would definitely not rely on the opinion of your SO when picking out suits and such. Many people are simply aware of fashion trends or what most men are wearing, not what should be worn or what will...
Who makes the Barney's house brand? Just curious. They don't look bad at all, but the prices are a bit high for a first time dress shoe purchase. As far as AEs being "too conservative" looking, well, that's the point. Some models are slightly more fashion forward but still conservative enough to be appropriate for interviews, work, etc. Here is a pic of the "dryden" model I have, which I think illustrates the point pretty well. I'm a little bit older than the OP but...
Sounds like you got a bad pair of seconds. I hope you were able to return them. Any new pair of shoes should be conditioned with leather conditioner prior to the first wearing. Virtually every pair of decent welt-constructed shoes I've seen would require some break-in time. After a few wearings they should be fine. Quote: Originally Posted by fusherino i understand that more than a few members here like AEs, but the one pair i tried, park avenues,...
This is what I did: Went to a brick and mortar AE store to figure out my size and what styles / lasts fit best. I can't afford full retail ($320-350) so I did not buy anything even though I really liked some of the shoes I tried. Later on, I went back to the store and bought some polish, a shine brush, and shoe trees to show goodwill. 1. Found a pair of new, first quality black "Birmingham" AE wingtips on ebay in my size for roughly $150 shipped. Make sure you only...
If you have purchased from them, what was your experience, and would you recommend either of them to others? Thanks.