Posts by Isbister

It was you who brought up the notion of paperboard insoles being used. I replied that I have never seen them used in GW shoes; I made the point that IF they were used in a handwelted shoe (I was not suggesting that they should be) then they would be no more suitable there than in the notional GW shoe that you postulated. The rather ill-tempered nature of various replies since then, and wilful misinterpretation of that point, all seem to be part of the groupthink I...
 Not exactly my point, but I agree wholeheartedly with your conclusion. I might feel otherwise if there was any meaningful evidence of shoes falling apart that might guide the dispassionate shoe-purchaser one way or the other, but apparently there is not.
^ I realised some sort of calculated risk was involved in challenging an assumption that seems to have been absorbed into the cosy group-think that permeates this thread. I simply do not have the inclination to engage in pointless to-and-fro with people whose minds seem to be made up, impervious to conflicting points of view, although the defensiveness of the replies so far suggests to me some level of unease in your point of view ... I asked for statistics to do with...
^^ Hmmn - not sure I'm the confused philosopher here. A lot of anecdotal assertions, but no statistics to back them up - no science, in fact, which was my point earlier. 'Done and internalised by craftsmen' sounds like rather dodgy rationalisation to me. Of course, if 'that's all the science that is needed', well it doesn't matter much anyway, does it? 
^ Thanks, I understand perfectly well the difference between hand-welted construction and Goodyear - there was no need to offer your own explanation there.   Is stitching necessarily better or worse than glue? You can only say one or other is better on the basis of a properly conducted statistical analysis, which I am guessing perhaps has not been done, because the debate seems to depend on rather flimsy assumptions about the structural integrity of various materials...
^ Where I would agree with either of the two replies above concerns insoles made of paperboard, which I cannot imagine would have the necessary structural properties for a satisfactory shoe. However, all the GW shoes I have bought have had leather insoles, so that particular argument does no apply. Presumably a hand-welted shoe made with paperboard would be similarly compromised? If comparing hand-welted shoes with Goodyear welted shoes, before one can say anything is...
Without wishing to restart a tedious debate on hand-welting, I would have to query whether 'subjective' might not have been the more appropriate adjective. From my own experience, hand-welted shoes can fall apart, literally, at the welt. Thread can rot, the insole can give way, etc etc. Not something I have ever experienced with GW. Of course, this is not a scientific sample. However, my observation has been that those most likely to advocate hand-welting seem to be: a)...
 They are good quality, but as you say, very full cut. The bodies are very long, the collars are large, but the sleeves are rather short - not quite in normal body proportion.
Perhaps his head was photoshopped? The jacket length looks acceptable to me. I too have been a long-term fan of Cordings - very long-term in fact. However, I feel they may have been going downhill in recent years. Their suits are nothing special now.
Those are nice. I read the sole sticker as 89/11, rather than 11/68 - it is a price sticker I think (89 shillings and 11 pennies; an abbreviation for £4 9s 11d - £4.49). That still dates them to 1971 or earlier.