or Connect

Posts by Isbister

What weird version of history is this? 
Fair point. There were politicians here who wanted peace at any cost - just as there were the remainers, and then those who favoured Brexit. Also, we had no air force worth the name until 1939.
 Looking back at the post you mention, I do see that some of my comments might seem rather barbed. Pound for pound, however, I think we have had back from you rather more than we paid. Your manner is a big stumbling block to anyone wishing to enter the debate. As to hand-welting vs. Goodyear, I wonder if it can be likened to the erstwhile distinction between which cars had a separate chassis, and others which started being made without them? At first, people said - a car...
That old canard? Where were you in 1939, in 1940, in 1941? It was only Tojo who got you involved, let's face it. Your help later was of course much appreciated, however - better late than never, as they say.
^ There is an awareness that Brexit is not going to be straightforward, nor without some pain and inconvenience.   It's no good parading protectionist arguments however, that's what got Europe into trouble in the 30s.   Attitudes on the Continent to the UK are really not good enough - some semblance of gratitude might be in order, just now and again. We saved you from Napoleon, we saved you from Hitler, and by golly we'll save you from the EU too if we can.
^ You do your argument no favours by your offensive manner. If anyone is a troll, I would say it was you.
 Somewhat late in replying, but thanks for sharing. I had cause to visit the Technic factory c.1995 and remember watching shoes like that being made. That particular type of zug-grain leather was I believe made by Martins, a Scottish tannery. They went out of business and the type of zug-grain now used by Tricker's and Alfred Sargent is somewhat different - rather more oily, less easy to bring to a shine. Technic themselves went bust too. A lot of the machinery was taken...
 I appreciate you taking the time to give us the benefit of your thoughts on how (badly) the UK will fare post-Brexit, and I also appreciate that (presumably) English is not your native language, so will overlook the conundrum about dialogue not being talks(?). I mentioned NZ merely as an instance of how things might shape up.  The Guardian article is a bit of a joke. The argument was that immigrants don't drive up rent and property prices, because when they move into an...
I don't think anyone imagines it would be possible to resurrect the old imperial preference trading arrangements, nor is anyone talking about it. Most serious neo-liberal commentators simply want free trade arrangements between countries. The main obstacle to that would be the EU. But as an instance of how things might shape up over the coming years, the UK and New Zealand are already talking about a post-Brexit trade...
 Sorry I've been a bit slow in replying, Mr Savage. I've been away for a while. You were lucky to find a pair - AS only seem to make veldtschoen footwear on a rather sporadic basis. Tricker's no longer make them. The shoes have the advantage that they can be worn almost anywhere - the boots just seem more out-and-out rugged. It depends what you're doing, but I do find the boots more comfortable and obviously in a damp climate they are just a lot better. The shoes seem...