Posts by Isbister

I'm old enough now to know who is telling me the truth, because they really don't need to tell porkies, and who is just spinning an endless line of self-serving and self-gratifying bullshit thank you.
 I have raised the issue of 'failed gemming'  at various shoe factories in Northampton, and the response is usually one of much mirth. For instance, at Crockett & Jones, many customers return shoes for resoling, but they told me they had not seen a single instance of 'failed gemming'. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it seems to be verging on mythical. Perhaps when it happens, those customers don't send them back for repair, I don't know. Not something to lie awake at...
 Looking back at the post you mention, I do see that some of my comments might seem rather barbed. Pound for pound, however, I think we have had back from you rather more than we paid. Your manner is a big stumbling block to anyone wishing to enter the debate. As to hand-welting vs. Goodyear, I wonder if it can be likened to the erstwhile distinction between which cars had a separate chassis, and others which started being made without them? At first, people said - a car...
^ You do your argument no favours by your offensive manner. If anyone is a troll, I would say it was you.
 Somewhat late in replying, but thanks for sharing. I had cause to visit the Technic factory c.1995 and remember watching shoes like that being made. That particular type of zug-grain leather was I believe made by Martins, a Scottish tannery. They went out of business and the type of zug-grain now used by Tricker's and Alfred Sargent is somewhat different - rather more oily, less easy to bring to a shine. Technic themselves went bust too. A lot of the machinery was taken...
 Sorry I've been a bit slow in replying, Mr Savage. I've been away for a while. You were lucky to find a pair - AS only seem to make veldtschoen footwear on a rather sporadic basis. Tricker's no longer make them. The shoes have the advantage that they can be worn almost anywhere - the boots just seem more out-and-out rugged. It depends what you're doing, but I do find the boots more comfortable and obviously in a damp climate they are just a lot better. The shoes seem...
I have reached much the same conclusions. Not heard of Solidur, they sound good, but box calf riding boots are necessary for the type of riding I do.
^ I don't keep a record in my diary, but you may well be correct. I confidently expect most of my shoes to see me out.
They are worn at least every other weekend. They are commando-soled and still on their original soles, however, so perhaps you are right and I have not been using them sufficiently roughly ...? I'm not going to worry (or even think about) slurry consistency. However, I think I am on safe ground in saying that the veldtschoen construction came about specifically to defeat the ingress of...
 I have no concerns about these boots. They are now 10 years old and as far as one can tell seem utterly solid. They certainly don't leak. Boots of this construction come up on e-bay from time to time that are 40 or even 50 years old, with apparently no symptoms of the failure you describe. Even assuming such a calamity should befall my boots, provided the company is still in existence, Alfred Sargent will repair them. I have some veldtschoen shoes besides the boots, which...