or Connect

Posts by Isbister

No, but it has (or at any rate had) a lively nightclub downstairs. I would imagine the restaurant will be good but if not, there are various other hotels nearby going towards the town centre that are good, besides the more basic places in Pacquis, just behind the Kempinski.
 I've been very pleased with the crepe-soled suede chukkas you sent me, and would be inclined to order more Sanders shoes if you stocked size 13. Here is an article on Sanders: http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/sanders-shoes-guide-factory-tour/
 The Kempinski faces across the lake so with any luck you will have great views from your room. The lakeside walk towards the botanical gardens and the United Nations and beyond is a very pleasant stroll at the weekend, and going the other way, Geneva's very attractive old town is a 15-20 minute walk. A steamer ride on the lake would show you a bit more of the wider region. The area behind the Kempinski - the Pacquis - may not be to everyone's liking (some colourful low...
 It's on the Quai du Mont Blanc, in Geneva. With any luck you will be able to see Mont Blanc. If you've ever been to Darjeeling, Mont Blanc is to Geneva as the Himalayas are to Darjeeling.
 Mont Blanc itself is quite some distance away from Geneva (30-50 miles?) - the only reason it can be seen from Geneva (on a clear day) is that it's so massive. Or perhaps you are staying at the Hotel Mont Blanc (which is in Geneva)?
I worked in Geneva for three months in 2011. There are wristwatch shops in abundance, as well as a couple of good shoe shops, but otherwise it's not really a particularly good place for shopping. When I was there, the strength of the Swiss franc meant that most locals travelled a few km over the border to France, where everything was way cheaper. However, there is a really excellent food hall at a place called Manor, halfway between the railway station and the lake.   As...
 Dear old Johnny - what a delightful image.
 Why don't you try googling? Quite a few places sell them - Pediwear have a few, as do Bodileys and I suspect the Shoehealer does as well.
 Discoloration? Deal with scratches? The reason they cost so much is that you aren't meant to worry about trifles such as fair wear and tear. Leather briefcases are meant to age, not be kept in pristine condition. Why pay so much to have a thing made almost indestructible, but then keep it in cotton wool? Much as I enjoyed the very good review a few posts back, it struck me as slightly odd to have an almost vintage case in as-new condition - that's quite wrong in my...
The real problem seems to start beyond UK size 12. I'm a 12.5 - 12 is too small, 13 can be a trifle loose on the foot. Those (very) few makers who go up to 13 seem to skip 12.5. Loake go up to 13 in quite a range of styles, some in E fitting and some in G. Crockett & Jones and Edward Green make only a few models in 13, while  both Cheaney and Alfred Sargent used to but no longer go beyond 12. I refer to RTW, of course - much more becomes possible if you pay extra for MTO.