or Connect

Posts by Isbister

Far from it.   Welting a) at Sanders & Sanders; b) at Edward Green - or is it the other way round?     
I always use a safety razor. I have two Merkurs, which do quite a good job if used with the correct blade (otherwise the shave can be a bit mild). I recently bought an Ikon - it's very nicely made indeed but requires quite careful handling otherwise the bathroom can take on an abattoir aspect.   Careful preparation is the key to a good shave. I use Musgo Real pre-shave oil, then Taylor's shaving cream and a best badger brush, followed by one shave with the grain,...
Perhaps I've just been lucky with my choice of shoes, but comparing my Loakes with my Crocketts, I can't distinguish any of the shortcomings that your analysis would suggest exist. The stitching is all accurate - it's very possibly to an almost imperceptibly coarser gauge, but that is all.   I've seen Goodyear welting done at various shoe factories - most recently at Edward Green. It's very hard to do it either 'better' or 'worse' - it's all done by a machine in...
  The Ridgeway is named after a long distance footpath in Southern England, a route that pre-dates the Roman invasion. It has an advantage over the Commando sole in that it is less prone to trap lumps of soil between the lugs. With Commandos, the soil eventually dries and shrinks, then it falls out - usually over one's best rug.
You're not sure they are as well made as C&J? They use the same processes, the same types of machinery. The important distinction would be that C&J use finer types of calfskin, and where any handwork is involved - e.g. burnishing - C&J can be trusted to do a better job. But in terms of construction, the Loake shoes I have are every bit as well made as my several pairs of C&Js. Some are getting on for 10 years old and have been treated quite mercilessly, yet are still in...
You've really been doing the rounds here.   As you say, they have a tractor-like quality - indeed, I find the Tricker's shape just a little too rustic, but I suppose that is part of their unchanging style. I feel Sargents may have the edge, however, in terms of making true heavyweight brogues.
A good review. I have one or two of their shoes - well quite a few in fact, but all bought as seconds at the factory. My only complaint would be that their country grain calf, while very comfortable, is so soft that it has a tendency to scratch very easily - quite deeply, more like cuts, when it comes into contact with various projections around the control pedals of my car.
Loake make some very good shoes - certainly in the 1880 line, and a few of the others are good too. I have various Loake brogues and particularly like the toe shape. Arguably not as elegant as say Crockett & Jones, but probably just as well made and much better value for money.   They also make some dross however - too much corrected grain, and some shoes are not made in Kettering at all but in India. Nothing necessarily wrong with that I suppose, but it seems to be...