or Connect

Posts by Isbister

I said your post was borderline-paranoid, which was how it struck me. Perhaps an over-hasty choice of terminology at the time. However, having now had more time to delve through the thread, you do strike me as a tad angry and over-sensitive to any who question your point of view, and not exactly reticent in dishing up choice epithets to let others know exactly what you think of them. You question people's credentials, belittle them, and seem to take the view that only...
Shiptons sell a few Blake sewn shoes, like these, that might be what you had in mind. I don't know where they are made however - have a feeling it's the Iberian Peninsula: http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/mens-shoes/mens-full-brogues/humber-mens-black-calf-full-brogue.html
 I would say that's one of the more relevant and helpful insights to have been posted recently, from someone who must know.
OK thanks that's a help - Montana, Oregon and NY, at least, are covered. Even for gemming failures too. Slight tangent, but Edward Green have a very interesting archive which details every single repair that is returned to them - there is a dossier on every single pair of shoes. Sending shoes to Northants from Texas must be expensive, but I doubt whether any of the Northampton firms are making a penny of profit on the repairs they make, which in some cases are probably...
So let me get this right - any town in America, I can march up to the counter with my broken hand-welted shoes and they will sort them out for me? Yes or no, simple question. I wasn't saying the repair itself is difficult, just querying how easy it is to find someone to do it outside of New York - since you were making a big deal of this precise issue a few posts ago.
 Those prices are a lot lower than I would have expected - frankly I no longer keep tabs on shoe prices as at my age I already have more than enough pairs to see me out, but if I am ever in Budapest, who knows? The only hand welted pair I have, a pair of riding boots, cost me £350 in 1999 - they are probably 3x that much now. However, price aside, HW shoes can still only ever be for the few, as there would never be the supply to replace the 100s of thousands of GY shoes...
 Yes, I said that. It's better in the sense that GY is mature technology that, objectively, works, for one thing. I'm not necessarily saying a well-sewn hand-welted shoe is technically inferior, but because it is necessarily more time-consuming to make shoes that way, it is economically inferior - it can only be a more expensive product, either that or the craftsman will have to work for free. Hand-welted shoes can only ever be for the few, that is their place. It is...
  I'm a 10.5, I ordered an 11. I do see the problem however ...