or Connect

Posts by breakaway01

Thanks very much for your summary--very interesting! And please do follow up if you try it out. And BTW you should post this to the "Suitsupply NYC" thread.
 Not sure where you saw the $450 Samuelsohn suits, but I found them on the Off Fifth site, which is their outlet site. At the regular Saks website the Samuelsohn suits start at $1200. I very much doubt that the suits on the Off Fifth website are mainline fully-canvassed suits but happy to be corrected. Are you actually seeing these suits in person or are you going entirely by what you can find on the internet??
I agree that Samuelsohn is very nicely made but a suit does not retail for $750 US in the United States. You don't know what you're talking about. Samuelsohn at Nordstrom retails for around $1200, for example.   OP, before you buy I would visit several stores, including a BB, and try out different brands/models. Unfortunately the outlet BB suits are not made particularly well, so I wouldn't recommend going there. Don't buy a suit online until you have a decent sense of...
Actually my point was that it was the Asian-made 1818 sportcoat that was fully canvassed. I have a made in USA Brooks Brothers 1818 blazer that is half canvassed. Both RTW. I found it rather interesting that the simpler construction is found in the USA-made jacket. 
Agree that 1818 suits are half canvassed. But half canvas construction does not mean there is no fusible. Did you read this link that Chris Despos posted? http://www.styleforum.net/t/269171/canvas-and-suit-construction/0_50 If a jacket is not fully canvassed, then what do you suppose is used to stabilize the fronts of the jacket where there is no canvas? We are not talking about 'unconstructed' jackets. 
GF is fully canvassed from what I've seen.I have an 1818 sport coat made in Thailand that is fully canvassed by pinch test and by the label. However the 1818 suits I have seen are all half canvassed. You may not want to believe it but half canvassing almost always has a thin layer of fusible down the front of the jacket to support the fabric. Go search online if you don't want to believe us.
Birdseye is more often associated with suiting. I don't want to come across as too dogmatic about this, though. The more you look at jackets and suits, the quicker you'll pick up on the differences. Some fabrics are much more likely to be associated with suits than odd jackets. Birdseye, nailhead, sharkskin tend to be suiting fabrics for example. Stripes (pinstripes, chalkstripes, etc) are almost always suits. Patch pockets are more likely to be associated with odd...
Your instincts are correct, I'm afraid. The second and third jackets are definitely orphans. I've seen glen plaid (first jacket) worn as an odd jacket but IMO it's better as a suit. Welcome!
I am very much hoping this reflects a premium for the in-person fitting, as in-person fitting for trousers and shirts will be $50 more over standard online pricing. @luxire , could you please clarify this? In other news, I received the Minnis flannel trousers in fawn last week and the color is very nice. Not yet flannel weather here but I will try to put up pictures when I get a chance. 
The answer is about four posts up.