or Connect

Posts by Bill S

I wouldn't consider bison or kangaroo to be exotics. I know kangaroo is very tough and supple as it is often used in soccer cleats and seems pretty durable for that purpose. I'm not sure about the look of bison. I prefer a smooth leather. That's the reason why I haven't gone with Russel's weather tough leather. I requested and received a bunch of leather samples back when I ordered my Art Carters. At the time, Mr. Fabricius' daughter told me that French veal was no longer...
Yes, they will do most anything you want within reason.
I have a pair of the Art Carter chukkas inthe German Elk leather. I figured it might be tougher than the French veal, but that's just an assumption. I've been thinking of getting a pair of boots, like the Imperial or maybe the all leather mountain PH. To the previous poster, what leather options would you recommend for a tough, long lasting boot? I'm not interested in any of the exotic leathers.
The longitudinal crease you're referring to is the seam of the underlying layer of leather. Like you said, they all seem to have it.
Oldfrump, That was an excellent post. Thank you. I also have a pair of the Art Carters and they keep getting better with age. Did you get yours with the French veal leather or something else? I'm now trying to decide on what to get for my second pair of Russells. I want boots but can't decide which ones. I wish I could visit the store/factory as you did but probably won't be able to.
Try calling them on the phone. I've gotten through to them every time that way.
I spoke with someone at RM about the virtues of the various leathers. He said the French veal was very durable. More so than most of their other leathers according to him. Lots of art Carters out there that are 15 years old and still going strong. He said there are some landscapers in Texas who wear the art carter chukkas every day and even with all the dirt and repeated soakings they still last for many years. So, I'm sending off my order tomorrow. Supposedly "only" a 14...
I'm about to order a pair of chukkas - either the Art Carter or the Country chukka - but I'm not sure which leather I should go with. I know everyone seems to love chromexcel. I have a pair of Indy boots in chromexcel and my only gripe is how easily it scuffs although most of them will rub out if they're not too deep. I want a rugged leather for these chukkas as I'll be wearing them as an everyday shoe and they'll likely take a beating even though I'm generally pretty...
Thanks. Sounds like the have a similar fit.
No one?