or Connect

Posts by aarghh

On a slightly different note, I highly recommend the Caedmon Poetry Collection: A Century of Poets Reading Their Work - linked to Amazon here. The CD is a little messed up in order, but its worth it to hear Auden, Thomas, Yeats, Walcott, Eliot et al reading some of their own works mentioned in this thread. I'd regard this as a must have for anyone even remotely interested in poetry, particularly the oral tradition.
Quote: Originally Posted by chrysalid Auden's Funeral Blues has for me been permanantly tainted by its association with 4 Weddings and a Funeral. Bastard Curtis. I know little of poetry, but studied and very much enjoyed Philip Larkin at school: I love Philip Larkin as well - his misanthropic world view can be very refreshing at times: This Be The Verse They f*ck you up, your mum and dad They may not mean to, but they do. They...
Quote: Originally Posted by Vintage Gent Interesting thing about some of the choices here. I have a deal with my daughter. For every poem of 12 lines or more that she memorizes, I give her $5. So far she's memorized, among others, three of the poems cited here: "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night," "Ozymandias," and "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." And she's working on "The Second Coming." How old is your daughter? We have a family...
Fabienne, Wonderful choices. I'd forgotten about La Belle Dam Sans Merci. And Rilke - lovely imagery. Another one of his I love is Going Blind : She sat just like the others at the table. But on second glance, she seemed to hold her cup a little differently as she picked it up. She smiled once. It was almost painful. And when they finished and it was time to stand and slowly, as chance selected them, they left and moved through many rooms (they talked and...
Lovely thread. I have too many favorites to mention - changes depending on my mood, but Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" is high on the list: Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words had forked no lightning they Do not go gentle into that good night. Good men, the last wave by, crying...
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexP415 I just ordered this Isaia sportcoat from STP. I'm pretty excited - I have one Isaia suit and the fit and style are just perfect for me. What sort of color combinations would go well with this sportcoat? I was thinking charcoal or grey flannel trousers, but I don't have much experience matching shirts and ties to brown. What do you guys...
Quote: Originally Posted by Britalian I do believe, sir, you are correct. I was actually quoting The Hitch who was mis-quoting Wodehouse. The gist is correct. Didn't mean to be pedantic - I just believe that the cadence is better in the original. Also consider - "He held her with an interlocking grip. She creaked, but did not crack."
Draper's assistant, traveler, photographer. Your writing has given me many moments of pleasure. May your shade know peace.
Quote: Originally Posted by Britalian C Hitchens is a big fan and he cites one of his favourite lines: Jeeves is a little out of sorts and Bertie can't put his finger on his manservant's mood: 'I wouldn't exactly say he was disgruntled, but I wouldn't say he was gruntled, either.' I'd agree; he is wonderful. Pure enjoyment. I remember that as being "while not exactly disgruntled, he was far from gruntled" I thought that was Uneasy...
Psmith, now, comrade... Covering a dead bat with his pocket square saying "Someone's mother."