or Connect

Posts by aarghh

I used to have an alarm clock that had a voice-activated snooze function. Not very effective at waking me up, but it was very satisfying to shower it with vile imprecations early in the morning and have it shut up. It made my morning quite tolerable.
Quote: Originally Posted by EL72 Stay away from Costco! That place is a money-sucking pit. I am trying to avoid it because you cannot leave that place without spending $300 even if you're just going in for diapers or cereal. There are much cheaper places to shop for groceries than Costco. That said, having done 3 major renos in the past 18 months, I hate to break it to you but saving a few bucks here and there on other expenses is like pissing in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad Try harder. Nope, that didn't quite cut it.
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad See red's following post for an example. The post about people with KPFA bumper stickers, in the particular context of this thread, suggests that sort of hypocrisy is a characteristic of liberals in particular. Does it say that in absolute, literal terms? Of course not. But clearly that's the implication that's fairly there. I was simply pointing out that such hypocrisy is not really an attribute of one...
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad How is this any more a contradiction than "law and order above all" conservatives behaving in the same way? Or for that matter people with preachy Christian bumper stickers? Not different - or for that matter those who claim Christian (New Testament) values, yet support death penalty. That is why I find it hard to live by labels. Who is the other side?
Quote: Originally Posted by Sartorian Is anyone really polite on the road? Rage knows no party. Yes, but apparently "peace" does - or is dragooned by a particular type.
Quote: Originally Posted by oscarthewild [Continued] I was about to write something similar for liberals but is a very apt description. Many of the "love your brother", "love mankind", "pro freedom of thought"... liberals readily spew profanities at those who they perceive as not sharing their belief system. "Die yuppie scum" shows such profound love for another! It is remarkable how many drivers of cars with KPFA/Peace bumper...
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/txt/650.txt http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/txt/650.txt The collection of poems by the same name is well worth looking up.
"All you who sleep tonight Far from the ones you love, No hand to left or right And emptiness above - Know that you aren't alone The whole world shares your tears, Some for two nights or one, And some for all their years."
Perhaps that is the difference between an inspirational candidate and the other - who wants to please everyone.