or Connect

Posts by aarghh

Here is a link to an NY Times story about the currency of Vineyard Vines in Washington, DC. This claims that Kerry switched to Vineyard Vines after his Hermes "habit" attracted unwanted attention. NY Times tie story
Quote: This may sound silly, but as someone who grew up in Vermont and whose parents own a small business, my biggest problem with shopping at Target, Walmart, Costco, etc. are the social effects (and yet I'm a capitalism...I am fully aware of the inconsistency, thank you). Color me dense - but I don't necessarily see an inconsistency in that. Capitalism and corporations do not necessarily go hand in hand. IMHO, small businesses are as much a part of...
All the best. May your lives together be "full of pleasure, void of strife, and beloved of many." (With my apologies to Izaak Walton)
Have you considered Banana Republic? They have separates that allow you to mix and match for your jacket and trousers, and the cuts are not bad. So they're fused, but you do want it in a hurry.
Quote: Aarghh - is it true that French Laundry gives preference to local SF/SJ/Napa residents? I don't know - when I did reserve, it was by calling at 10:00 am, and I got a table for a date 2 months later. The other time I've been there, someone else got the reservations. I've not heard of locals getting any preferential treatment. I'm told lunch is easier to reserve for - that may be something to keep in mind.
Quote: Perhaps you misunderstand me. I really don't care about sitting next to famous people, per se...rather, I enjoy observing a specific subset. Why can't one, to paraphrase aarghh, have a personal quest for clothing, food and beautiful women? A valid point, and I'm not saying that the food being equal, I would not plump for a place with droves of beautiful women. However, if the same place happened to need scheming machinations to get into, I...
For a basic machine, the Krups Arome Plus is pretty decent. A friend uses it, and the coffee he gets out of it is good. I haven't seen the K-Kups model. Aabree Coffee is a good site for these. Also, check out Coffee Geek for a "take no prisoners" approach to good coffee. A french press can make better coffee than most drip machines; only, as Andrew remarks, one has to be very careful about the grind, or else you wind up with sludge on the bottom of the cup. I still tend...
I wouldn't want to brag about sitting next to XYZ either - I have too healthy an ego to do that. I'd much rather XYZ brags about sitting next to my table; not that there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. To me, going to a great restaurant is about the gastronomic experience - the service and ambience are only instruments to concentrate my senses on that aspect. As a consequence, I have had as much satisfaction in a tapas bar in Seville, as in Gary Danko's....
If you're looking for drip coffee, the Braun KF187 is excellent. I use it everyday, and it produces a good cup of coffee. Espresso, though, is the way to go :-). I am currently lusting after the Francis Francis X3.
Bumping an old thread to see if anyone had more information. The Carnegie looks interesting - I've always liked the wholecut look, and the price is good. So, any opinions/experience?