or Connect

Posts by aarghh

Er, it *is* the first of a certain month...
"Bandhgala" literally means closed neck - this term is applied to any of the class of jackets that have a stand up collar. What most people refer to as a Nehru jacket is usually known as a "Prince" coat in India - this is worn formally with trousers and is of the same length as a standard suit jacket. A true Nehru jacket, however, has a long skirt and ends somewhere below the knee; it is usually worn with tight pajamas called "churidars" - somewhat like jodhpurs. Here is...
Let me make the shocking admission - I have never been "clubbing" as the term is defined in the US of A. I have been to many bars and restaurants, but usually in search of a quiet drink or meal. It now turns out that I have to go clubbing with some acquaintances in New Orleans, in the middle of March. Apparently this 30-something dog has to acquire yet another set of tricks. So, oh all you people who are masters of this art, I prostrate myself before thee - give me...
I'm surprised that fountain pens didn't make the article. After all, a Bic can write more reliably, what? When they come to take me away to the guillotine, I shall be clutching my Pelikan through rigor mortis. As an ancient Arab proverb says -"Take what you want - you'll pay for it"
Quote: hey guys I thought this thread about khakis I'm planning on moving back to Hawaii, and I understand the dress code there is very casual, meaning aloha shirts and khakis. Now I would like to get khakis that aren't Dockers. I've heard of Bill's Khakis but I don't know if they're worth the price tag. I do remember Dr. Bresch sharing a negative review of them, as well as someone else claiming that they've worn out in a matter of months. If I'm going to pay...
Quote: Hmmmm.... disturbing yet riveting. I did forget to add two things. 1) After scraping the beard off, splash with cold water before using the aftershave balm -- to close up the pores. 2) If the blade starts to drag on your face, change the blade. I get about 5 shaves from a fresh razor. Six if I shave only once per session/per day. I'm really interested in this "skin food." Can anyone fill me in? Thanks, ROT Here is a link to Trumper's Skin...
I've used several fountain pens extensively, and haven't had a single one leak on me while flying. I use a Waterman Phileas on a daily basis, and recommend it as excellent value for money. I also like the Pelikan Souveran range - have an 800.
Interestingly, I have almost the same feeling as far as jeans are concerned. I would wear khakis around the house and for generally slumming, but I would never ever wear jeans. I have one pair of jeans, which seldom sees any use. My personal dislike for jeans is because of their weight, and the way denim absorbs moisture. I have often gone into paroxysms over people turning up for backcountry trips in jeans...
Another little bit of useless information - Khaki derives from the Urdu/Hindustani work for dust (Khak) which in turn comes to us from Persian. I believe the British Army officer was stationed in the Punjab, and was trying to find an alternative to the "Thin Red Line" uniforms.
Quote: Hey arrrgh... that avatar is awesome. Who is that? John Steed - from The Avengers. Rather dashing, what? John Steed Bio