or Connect

Posts by Kempt

Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel Some people are going to be afraid of your dog no matter what. I had a pal at Oxford who was phobic about both dogs and cats. He cowered against the wall when a cat came near and again cringed back when a cute little Jack Russell-type came bounding down the road. Another time when my little Tosa Jessie was a half-grown puppy and looked about as menacing as a child's toy, she and I were leaving an obedience class and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Teger berners fucking own Berners have an average lifespan of 7-8 years, just enough time to become extremely attached and watch them go. They are also a very "trendy" breed right now which means some people are unscrupulously trying to make a buck. You have to look long and hard to find a line and possibly wait a year or more for a puppy, also expect to pay good money. I'm surprised one of the recommendations...
Quote: Originally Posted by MsMcGillicuddy YMMV, but I think just dismissing them (or any other suggested green idea) . Every CFL I've ever used I've found inferior to traditional filament bulbs, and I've spent a lot of time bathed in fluorescent light, it's not just "being familiar" with one or another. It's what I prefer, to each his own. When someone breaks a CFL, they throw it away. They don't isolate it and take it to some special...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jekyll How are CFL's worthless? What do you view as being more harmful to the environment, a little extra CO2 from the additional fossil fuels necessary to generate the electricity to power a normal light bulb or a shit ton of CFLs that don't put off very good light and contain elemental mercury? This is why "green ideas" are generally bad. Ever heard someone say "We should have hydrogen powered cars!"? There...
Quote: Originally Posted by NortonI I have it on good authority that the Chuck E Cheese establishments in Canada SERVE BEER. Talk about two wrongs making a right. The last time I was in Boise, Idaho the Jack in the Box served beer. I'm not sure if they would give it to you through the drive-thru though. I have it on good authority the liquor stores in Wyoming have a drive-thru! Am I missing the point here where people are saying "Given my...
My first job out of college with double degrees (Biochem/Neuroscience) was as a delivery driver because I didn't feel like doing research anymore and had no desire to pursue a BS. Some people enjoy their "menial" jobs and get over the prestige shit right quick. A lot of people that are "struggling" but you find overqualified or think they could do better lack either the drive/motivation or self-confidence to obtain more. I knew a kid in high school who's dad had a Ph.D....
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel Y'know, the more I've been thinking about this post, the more disturbing I find it. I mean, here we have an extremely "natural" dog, similar in size and appearance to wolves, jackals and coyotes, one of the most athletic of all dogs, a breed that is still very largely a working breed (and arguably the best at what it does well) and purpose-bred, yet still your dogs were "croakers." It strongly reinforces my opinion...
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel ^The one English Cocker I had any experience with seemed like a very nice dog indeed--a total contrast to all the American Cockers I've had any experience with. All of them were nasty customers...although I suppose there must be some few nice ones out there, somewhere. As I have mentioned previously, the business of vet costs has been a major deterrent to my getting a new dog, especially since I am considering...
All those things you mentioned about the foxhound are true, again why they aren't such great indoor companion only dogs. A lot of the scent hounds fall into this category IMO. However, if you're a bloodhound owner for example and you have the willingness to work with your dog and train it to become a rescue dog which takes a lot of time/effort on your part I think they can make great companions because you are exercising that part of their drive. I've heard that said...
Quote: Originally Posted by lefty While working dogs can make decent pets, I don't believe it should be encouraged to the extent that it is now. FWIW, I know plenty of people that breed decent dogs and make a good living doing so. I agree and I should be more specific and also put my posts into perspective. I think far too many people pick dogs as companions based strictly on aesthetics. Now there are a number of breeds of dogs that...