or Connect

Posts by acole

I do believe johnnynorman was being facetious. goblueguy, if you check out the forum search engine, you'll find several long discussions of tie designers, with many pictures from members' personal collections.   We probably shouldn't neglect our very own in-house tie mavens: Carlo Franco FIH Ties
Quote: Isn't the Jazz model Saucony's casual shoe? and therefore a sneaker? Running shoes, sneakers, whatever, it's all the same to me...
I'm of the "bulging closet" school because I'm addicted to quality but am unwilling to pay more than 25% of retail.  In that market, you buy what you can when you can (with certain exceptions ).   Then, instead of planning, I just wait for good outfits to arise from the formless void of my closet while I note my own attitudes toward each item.  It has to be a gradual, organic process, because at the beginning my @#%$ completist left brain always says, "You know, your...
Quote: You sir must obviously not exercise or hit the gym, ever. If I am incorrect and you do indeed exercise and / or attend the gym, I beg you to post a picture of yourself on the treadmill wearing EG's; that would be an interesting sight indeed. That would be interesting, wouldn't it?  I don't frequent gyms.  For dry days there's a great running trail in the hills; for nasty days there's a Nordic Track in my closet.  For those activities I wear...
My sneaker recommendation? "Don't."
This doesn't strictly qualify as a case of being underdressed, but: As a fresh-faced junior at Interlochen Arts Academy, where the dress code frequently required a navy school-insignia blazer, gray trousers and striped repp tie, I had got as far as procuring a pair of black Florsheim captoes to complete this ensemble, but I had evidently failed to grasp the necessity of polishing these regularly.   After a certain choral concert partway through first term, I suddenly...
Wow...I'm sorry you had so much trouble with MTM.  I do hope they fix it (and given the economic bloc this board represents, they'd be wise to do so). Apart from the MTM quality and service issues Z raised, though, I've seen only style-based criticism of the HF Collection RTW suits thus far--certainly nothing to make me regret buying 3 of them (2 Boardrooms and a Canterbury, plus 2 "Oakbrook" sports jackets), especially at a 90% discount.   The button stance on the...
Quote: I regret even learning about gorge height. That knowledge ruins tons of suits for me now, while before I was blissfully oblivious to it. A-@#%$ing-men, j.  What IS the proper gorge height, exactly?  Can we quantify "Awful 80s Armani" vs. classic vs. "fashion forward" (I'm assuming we're currently at something of a high gorge extreme)?  Perhaps in terms of inches between the notch center and intersection of sleeve and shoulder seam? This can...
Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you.  I must be skipping over a year in my Leonid recollections; I think we're both talking about the 2001 event with the >1000/hr rates.  It was like nothing I'd ever seen, either, and I'd gone along gamely on quite a number of meteor-watching events prior to that.  (The salient feature of those typically involved our getting very drunk to numb the cold.)   Whichever year it was, I remember being very obsessive about finding the...
Black wool crepe Andrew Fezza black suit, $125, eBay.  The fused lapel "roll" has all the resilience of a pressed flower, and I've since scored Canali and H-F suits for around the same amount (or less). I'll also admit to a few common thrift-shopping stumbles...at least one uber-padded, low-waisted, low-gorge, "In 1983, it walked the earth." monstrosity of a sportscoat; a pinstriped odd jacket that's obviously an orphaned suit coat; also a handful of well-made shirts,...