or Connect

Posts by acole

Quote: Forum members seem always to be asking opinions about plaids on EBay. Often it's real hard to tell what you're buying, so you often wind up buying defensively-patterns so subtle you can hardly see them. I wonder if this isn't just a general timidity born of conformity. I unconsciously look at solids and pinstripes as universally "safe" and plaids/windowpanes as "daring" to "tacky" despite any personal affinity I might feel. Of course, here on...
I recently devoured this book after my wife received it as an office gift. It seems either you're the sort to get irritated by pervasive mistakes in written English, or you're not. As an admitted member of the former group who often empathizes with the author's desire to carry a permanent marker around town with her, I found it entertaining and not a little vindicating. It was also interesting to learn how many of the details we agonize over when writing--the necessity or...
19. I can't decide whether to be gratified or alarmed by this...
From my observations of, erm, certain of my older relatives, I can reliably caution you that a gift of snow tires is RIGHT OUT (despite the consideration it may show for her health and well-being).
To echo several previous suggestions, both naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene have significant vapor pressures at room temperature, which is why they work as fumigants. Warm air in a well-ventilated room ought to do nicely to remove either. Stuff like Febreze etc. just masks one odor with another--not what you want. My biggest gripes have been with tobacco smoke residue, which doesn't just sublime away like mothballs. I've been known to soak offending washables in...
Ah, Festivus... Have we ever discussed the truly parlous state of Seinfeld's wardrobe? I've never seen such awful, flimsy collars on a dress shirt, for instance. Xmas always puts me in a weird position. As a lapsed Methodist, I have absolutely no use for metaphysics; yet it's the secular facelift the holiday has received that I find most obnoxious. The surreal commercial frenzy, the pre-packaged empty sentiments (in today's mail: a computer-generated Xmas card from...
To echo PHV, I'm interested IF a sufficiently large size is offered. My handspan is 10", or just enough to reach a major tenth interval on the piano (C -> e, for instance). My experience with most "extra large" dress/driving gloves has been confining and frustrating.
Nobody is disputing the existence of informal black suits, only the propriety of wearing them. I don't see why it should be such an all-or-nothing issue. Wearing a black suit to a formal event looks tacky, but wearing one at a trendy bar or club shouldn't raise eyebrows. (Full disclosure: I own both a black suit and dinner attire). As for the original question, did anyone suggest ebay yet? It would be nice to get a canvased jacket; I'm assuming that Jos A Banks number is...
Now, those are some originals.  We sure have come a long way in the technology of athletic wear...can you imagine wearing a sports jacket for actual sports?   I certainly don't look for extra privation in running or walking--these days I get the most cushioned shoe I can find.  I don't know why I ran in that same pair of Asics for so long, but it wasn't hardiness...more like foolhardiness.
Quote: No offense, acole, I dig Jazz, but running in them? My feet and calfs (calves?) hurt just thinking. They're Saucony Grid Jazz 8s, actually, but this particular pair is shot--I've pounded the midsoles into oblivion and they now feel like wooden clogs.  It's actually my shins that hurt.  I could tell they were really toast yesterday when I had occasion to run a short way in the Dino Certo monks I got from Lance (great shoes.); those actually...