or Connect

Posts by acole

Quote: Well, IMO life is too short to drink inferior wines. Fair enough. I'm not really sure what other answer I was expecting there. I do tend to...invest more in reds than in whites, at least--along with avoiding "Two-Buck Chuck" and anything that comes in a box.
In my walk-in (with the typical eye-level hanging bar) I have a woodlore shoe rack, and I'm contemplating another. These fit nicely underneath my dress shirts--suits and jackets hang too low to accomodate this kind of rack. All slacks are on the 5-bar "tree" hangers somebody mentioned. I also have woodlore tie hangers that hold 40 ties on brass pins attached to a cedar hanger. If you get one of these (BB&B has them), file down rough spots and corners so you don't snag...
Hmmmmm. Conventional reasoning says: you bid, you won, you pay. But this person's feedback greatly distresses me. Almost all of it is from users who have <10 fb and/or are NARU. And if you check their fb, you keep seeing the same names. There's a clear pattern of NARU'd users and auctions that get ended early among all these IDs. To top it off, your seller wants $40 S&H, and demands a wire transfer, cashier's check, or Western Union (all non-recoverable). What all this...
Forgot one thing...I suppose those of you who are avid wine collectors know about this already, but I just read that the US Supreme Court is apparently leaning toward voiding state laws in MI and NY that curtail or prohibit direct out-of-state wine buying by residents. As things stand, I can't send so much as a single bottle of California Merlot to my parents. These laws seem to exist primarily to benefit wholesalers, though they are portrayed as protecting minors. I'd be...
$57/bottle...$75...$96...hmm. I suppose this probably just varies with disposable income, but: at what price point do you gents start feeling uneasy about a bottle of wine, of the sort you'd plan to drink with your average everyday meal? I see a lot of highly recommended wines over $30, and even though I know there can be a substantial difference in quality, I just can't help thinking "gosh, when the heck would we actually drink this?" By the time you get to $75, $100,...
A 46 jacket, and the sweater has a 50" chest? If it's a fine-gauge for under a blazer etc, it's probably too big. If it's heavier-gauge/cabled/etc, then it might be OK. Depends on the look you want. I believe most of my XLs measure between 49" and 54" in the chest. If it's something unique that you're dying to have, there are reknitting places that will alter sweaters...for a price. Good luck.
Quote: The vast majority of my dating experience has been with middle-class American white women. Overwhelmingly they impress me as a petty, timid creatures. Now there's a pick-up line. If you said that near my middle-class American white wife, you'd need a getaway vehicle.
I've snagged a couple of BB jackets off ebay...most of 'em were shapeless, fused junk. The only thing I've liked enough to keep is a black blazer in Loro Piana cashmere, and even that has horsehairs coming out of the lapels constantly. I tried on a bunch of newer jackets at random in the local BB recently while my wife was having a suit fitted, and the experience did little to rehabilitate that impression. So unless the label says Golden Fleece I'd stay away, if I were...
Quote: the gray pair has a black polo player. Yeah, but is it really a BLACK polo player, or navy??
This kind of thing just doesn't lend itself to generalization. Whichever way you go you'll just self-select the kind of women who resonate with your choice. If you find you can't connect with anyone, it probably isn't your clothing that's to blame. My wife's watched me go from long hair, ratty T-shirts and running shorts to Charvet ties and Grenson Masterpieces without batting an eyelash. It probably isn't good to project obsession and insecurity about clothing,...