or Connect

Posts by acole

Quote: One of my best friends (he will be one of my groomsmen) is virtually impossible to set up with anyone because not only is he fairly taciturn conversationalist in any case, but around women, you'd swear he was doing one of those street performer statue acts.  It's too bad, because he is a great guy - honest, trustworthy, a terrific friend who'll have your back at any time - and not too bad looking a guy to boot. LAGuy, Evil Thread...
Quote: I see you live in D.C., hope you're not involved in running our government. Given that artdeco A) acknowledged and apologized for his mistake, and B) actually fixed what was wrong, it's safe to assume he has precisely nothing to do with running our current government.
That's an option, of course, but since I only paid ten bucks I'd rather fix the buttons and either flip it or make a gift of it--there are quite a few 38-40 types in my family. Funny thing is, the seller wrote in his auction "I'm only a 38 so this thing is practically double-breasted on me." If he'd only known.
Well, I know Ben Silver does real gold monogrammed blazer buttons for ~$1K, but that's probably not what you're after... It's a coincidence that you posted this just now, because not 5 minutes ago I received a "Nordstrom single-breasted 46L" navy wool overcoat I'd bought on ebay. Nice pick-stitching details and peaked lapels. I put it on, and the shoulders felt like a vise while the waist was impossibly large. I looked again, did a double-take at buttons sewn right on...
Been eyeing those as well. A search on "Harrison AND cashmere" reveals the extent of the forum's collective (and wholly hypothetical) wisdom on these Harrison coats. Also, by happy coincidence, it yields a retail figure ($1800) for a HF cashmere coat similar to the one I asked about in another thread... I have a Harrison sweater from Bluefly, and it feels very soft; however the torso length is on the short side and the sizing is very generous. No idea how they'll hold up;...
This is an all-cashmere overcoat from Hickey-Freeman. What would you call this lapel style, and is it classic? Logically, I suppose, it's just an extremely narrow notch, but it looks different enough that I thought it might have its own name. Also, if anyone can comment on the general construction quality of HF's formal outerwear, or give a ballpark vintage and retail price for this coat, I'd be much obliged...
Some lesser-known nominees: Benton Harbor, MI AKA "plywood capital of the world". Most of the downtown is (or at least was) boarded up and deserted. (I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Flint yet, either.) Centralia, PA where smoking is redundant.
Magnesium fire? Good luck. Mg even burns in pure nitrogen or carbon dioxide. Water won't help either. Only way is to suffocate it with something like sand as the article mentioned (and it even reacts with that). And of course powdered magnesium (or aluminum) with iron oxide is the basis for the familiar "thermite" lab demo...
Quote: Of course, the issue that really chaps my ass has nothing to do with Christmas -- it's the fact that the Declaration of Independence is banned from certain public school reading lists in California because it says that men are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights. Totally ridiculous. This "fact" would be more alarming if it were actually true. The Cupertino school you are referring to has not "banned the Declaration of...
Quote: I don't understand why people get worked up about Iraq being an "erstwhile ally". What difference does it make. Great Britain is an erstwhile enemy. The USSR was an ally in WWII, but not five years later. Alliances shift. Get over it. You're not kidding. I'm sure the Kurds probably have whiplash given the frequency and rapidity with which we've alternately wooed them and fucked them over. I keep expecting to see them as the jilted lover du jour...