or Connect

Posts by acole

On eBay I keep seeing "Italian suits" by makers like "Leveti", "Vittorio Bertoni", "Firado", and "Naldini". I can't find much discussion of them, but they're pushed as if they were high-end stuff. They sound a bit cheesy to me. What's the scoop on these--are they closer to Canali, or to Vito Rufolo?
Let me be obvious rather than obscure and suggest establishing a favorite search on eBay...lots of chaff to sort through, but eventually something worthwhile will turn up.  If you develop an exclusive list of brand names, add "(Name1,Name2,...,NameN)" to the "basic search" field and check the "combine with Basic Search" box.
Although I've never been inside, there's still one in the Town & Country Mall at Embarcadero & El Camino in Palo Alto...very recently my wife coaxed me out to the ColdStone Creamery there, then window shopping.  [It was suitably awful ice cream for a strikingly ugly mall--I can't understand what makes ColdStone so popular.  I think their base ingredient is synthetic almond or vanilla extract, measured by the liter.] I was a bit surprised when we got to PJ, actually....
Cripes, this thread makes me glad I'm in California...I've got better things to do than worry about whether some guy on the street is gay. I don't care for the effeminate look, but it's definitely possible to wear a pink shirt without sacrificing virility--most white guys have PINK skin anyway, for Pete's sake.  I'd add that it looks quite good on a lot of people. In fact, I'm going to order up a pink shirt right this minute, just to irritate people like VersaceMan's...
Thanks for all the responses...they were good advice and good for a chuckle.  It helps to know I'm not abnormally clumsy.   For calfskin dress shoes specifically, is there anything one should do to repair or camouflage small cuts, cracks, and deeper scuffs besides just polishing?  It seems to me I've seen 'scuff repair' products in drugstores, but I don't know how well they work.  Does recrafting (a la AE's or Alden's mail-in service) fix this sort of damage?
This will probably make me sound naïve, or a klutz, or both.  But, what the hell...the only stupid questions are those we don't ask, right?  I'm a relative newcomer to the world of what you might call 'better' clothing. I guess I took my early cues from my father the engineer, who, bless his pragmatic heart, wore an alarming amount of polyester to the office and wouldn't know a hand-picked lapel or an English spread collar if it sucker-punched him in a dark alley and...
Expanding the topic a bit, if you head over to Sierra Trading Post, there's a 10% off $150 coupon there thru tomorrow (2/29), I think: code: LSC1 Adam C.
I just picked up a Corneliani blazer off eBay--I like it and it fits well, but the sleeves are 2" to 3" too long.  The ideal cuff termination point is smack in the middle of the buttons.  Is there a practical way of achieving the proper sleeve length in such a case?  I know I can't be the first person to encounter this problem... Adam C.
Nice shirt.  You got the same mitred cuffs that I did. When did you place the order? I'm still waiting for mine.  Say, it would be nice to have a 'MTM/bespoke shirts I Have Known' thread with pics of y'all's custom shirts...apart from being fun, it would be helpful to see how particular collar models actually look, see the shirting fabric as a complete realization rather than just a swatch, etc.  I had fun assembling my first Jantzen shirt, but I don't have a real clear...
$70, plus a $10 tip.  I have very fine hair and a round face, and the classic men's barbershop haircuts always looked silly on me.  Then I tried bargain salons, supercuts, etc. with mixed results...it wasn't the barber's crew- or bowl cut, but it still looked silly.  Finally, I concluded that my silliness was intrinsic, and found a stylist who's skilled enough to disguise it ;-)  It may be pricey, but I ain't switchin'. Since it's a longer-wearing style, I just...