or Connect

Posts by acole

Quote: You sir must obviously not exercise or hit the gym, ever. If I am incorrect and you do indeed exercise and / or attend the gym, I beg you to post a picture of yourself on the treadmill wearing EG's; that would be an interesting sight indeed. That would be interesting, wouldn't it?  I don't frequent gyms.  For dry days there's a great running trail in the hills; for nasty days there's a Nordic Track in my closet.  For those activities I wear...
My sneaker recommendation? "Don't."
This doesn't strictly qualify as a case of being underdressed, but: As a fresh-faced junior at Interlochen Arts Academy, where the dress code frequently required a navy school-insignia blazer, gray trousers and striped repp tie, I had got as far as procuring a pair of black Florsheim captoes to complete this ensemble, but I had evidently failed to grasp the necessity of polishing these regularly.   After a certain choral concert partway through first term, I suddenly...
Wow...I'm sorry you had so much trouble with MTM.  I do hope they fix it (and given the economic bloc this board represents, they'd be wise to do so). Apart from the MTM quality and service issues Z raised, though, I've seen only style-based criticism of the HF Collection RTW suits thus far--certainly nothing to make me regret buying 3 of them (2 Boardrooms and a Canterbury, plus 2 "Oakbrook" sports jackets), especially at a 90% discount.   The button stance on the...
Quote: I regret even learning about gorge height. That knowledge ruins tons of suits for me now, while before I was blissfully oblivious to it. A-@#%$ing-men, j.  What IS the proper gorge height, exactly?  Can we quantify "Awful 80s Armani" vs. classic vs. "fashion forward" (I'm assuming we're currently at something of a high gorge extreme)?  Perhaps in terms of inches between the notch center and intersection of sleeve and shoulder seam? This can...
Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you.  I must be skipping over a year in my Leonid recollections; I think we're both talking about the 2001 event with the >1000/hr rates.  It was like nothing I'd ever seen, either, and I'd gone along gamely on quite a number of meteor-watching events prior to that.  (The salient feature of those typically involved our getting very drunk to numb the cold.)   Whichever year it was, I remember being very obsessive about finding the...
Black wool crepe Andrew Fezza black suit, $125, eBay.  The fused lapel "roll" has all the resilience of a pressed flower, and I've since scored Canali and H-F suits for around the same amount (or less). I'll also admit to a few common thrift-shopping stumbles...at least one uber-padded, low-waisted, low-gorge, "In 1983, it walked the earth." monstrosity of a sportscoat; a pinstriped odd jacket that's obviously an orphaned suit coat; also a handful of well-made shirts,...
Here's a novel design that's definitely out of the main, uhh, "stream": For anyone who wants truly a comprehensive overview of this topic, there's always Urinal.net.
How'd your Leonid viewing turn out, Kevin?  In my neck of the woods (CA) they were spectacular in 2002--I'd rank them right up there with the 1991 total solar eclipse in terms of subjective significance.  The 2003 show was mediocre by comparison with only a few notable 'bursts', and I forgot to observe this year's shower (though I did catch the recent total lunar eclipse).
Fastest ever?  Somewhere between 135 and 140 mph in a customized Nissan Sentra SE-R, on a deserted stretch of interstate.  An undistinguished speed in a pedestrian vehicle, perhaps, but I felt a sort of paternalistic pride at the time. I had just spent 3 weeks flat on my back in my front yard shoehorning in a Japanese-market turbocharged version of the standard 4-cyl engine along with a stronger clutch, bigger brakes, better wheels/tires, various sensors & gauges, etc.;...