or Connect

Posts by acole

Here's a novel design that's definitely out of the main, uhh, "stream": For anyone who wants truly a comprehensive overview of this topic, there's always Urinal.net.
How'd your Leonid viewing turn out, Kevin?  In my neck of the woods (CA) they were spectacular in 2002--I'd rank them right up there with the 1991 total solar eclipse in terms of subjective significance.  The 2003 show was mediocre by comparison with only a few notable 'bursts', and I forgot to observe this year's shower (though I did catch the recent total lunar eclipse).
Fastest ever?  Somewhere between 135 and 140 mph in a customized Nissan Sentra SE-R, on a deserted stretch of interstate.  An undistinguished speed in a pedestrian vehicle, perhaps, but I felt a sort of paternalistic pride at the time. I had just spent 3 weeks flat on my back in my front yard shoehorning in a Japanese-market turbocharged version of the standard 4-cyl engine along with a stronger clutch, bigger brakes, better wheels/tires, various sensors & gauges, etc.;...
Quote: I have just spent 5 minutes reading the entire thread to see if anyone had mentioned Cate Blanchett, to discover she was on the last post. *snerk* (If it makes you feel any better, I had to do the same thing.) Apparently, Angela Bassett is also a little exercised about not seeing her name here.   I can't tell if she's heartbroken: or psychotic: but I thought I'd placate her before she torches another BMW full of expensive suits... 
Quote: 3. Did someone here suggest H-F suits are shoddy? Yes.  Kabert, what's so "crappy" about H-F suits, please? H-F's no Sartoria Attolini, but I'm looking at mine (RTW Boardroom) and seeing canvased front, hand-stitched buttonholes, LP 120s Tasmanian...   It's a "modified American sack" cut, of course, but surely this is a matter of taste rather than quality.   From what I remember of my distant, checkered sartorial past (which involves...
I would think that tie stripes that point to the left shoulder would best echo the arrangment of the lapels, since the left crosses over the right.  If you try it with a DB coat, you see that the stripes are parallel to the sweep of the longer lapel.  I've never really worried about it, myself. I seem to recall reading somewhere (Flusser?) that the stripe direction was deliberately reversed when English regimental stripe ties were first marketed in America, on the...
Trying to come up with a 'top five' (or ten) list seems a bit arbitrary, so I'll just put in a word for Cate Blanchett and call it a day...  
Are there multiple brews from Orval and/or does the quality of this beer vary significantly from bottle to bottle?  In 2003 at a restaurant in Portland OR, I had an Orval that I'd rate as my best beer-drinking experience, bar none (I never saw the bottle, unfortunately).  I've since bought many bottles of "Orval Trappist Ale" at import shops here in CA trying for a repeat, all to no avail.  I've started to suspect it's all in my head.
My experience so far with the faux buttonholes and freelance or store tailors (Nordstrom, e.g.) is that they just rip out the "embroidery", shorten the sleeve, and replace the buttons.  IOW, they don't re-do the fake buttonholes automatically, and no one I've gone to so far has agreed to do it when asked specifically.  Something to keep in mind, if such details are important to you.
How about an ambassador hat in Persian lamb?