or Connect

Posts by Academic2

I'm impressed by those who plan a whole week at a time.   I lay out everything for the next day before I go to bed, but that's it.  And it has nothing to do with being organized.  It has to do with knowing that I shouldn't make important decisions in the morning before I've had several cups of black coffee ...   Cheers,   Ac
One of the great virtues of this thread right out of the starting gate is that it's got participants from all over the place with very different life experiences.    Since this is a 'classic menswear' forum, it would be nice to a British point of view.  Perhaps someone could persuade Cleav, or another of our well-dressed UK brethren to drop by at some point?   Cheers,   Ac
 Assuming there’s nothing about the particular suit that contradicts that cultural association, it’s hard to see how one could avoid it, don’t you think?  (This is not to say that they're necessarily conscious of it, or that the strength of the association is the same for everyone.) To clarify:  It’s useful to conceptualize the history of classic style as a chronologically ordered set of images with each image coupled with a set of cultural meanings associated with it, and...
   It's been my impression that in stiches' "in your head" remark was directed at your claim that other people would interpret your suits as a sign that you're a "hobbyist," not at any of the other things you said. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers, Ac
 I doubt that it's ever crossed the minds of most American men that there are other men for whom clothes are a hobby.  I've been around for more than half a century, and I've never encountered the idea in real life. SF is not real life.  It's waaay better. Could be wrong, of course. Cheers, Ac
Bunch of guys hanging out talking about how big their cuffs are, and who has the biggest.   Yeah, cuffs.   Right.  Sure.  Nothing Freudian here.   Cheers,   Ac
Just a quick anecdote on the topic of how others perceive us, and the social coding implicit in our apparel.  Nothing profound here, but amusing to some, perhaps.   At this point in our history the ‘business suit’ is international—it’s sufficiently generic as to prompt no assumptions by the observer regarding the nationality of the wearer.  I often travel in one, whether for work or pleasure, partly for that reason. Additionally, when travelling in a foreign country, a...
 Me too, for the same reason they're not to my taste on Chelsea boots either (and I love Chelsea boots),  In both case the underlying simplicity and sleekness of the shoe or boot is the main attraction of the thing, and the additional decoration visually detracts from that. Cheers, Ac
 Yes.  A non-trivial point.    And let’s be clear:  a fit which might be unremarkable in one context could easily prompt an assault in another, and I’m talking about what happens in industrialized western countries.  Americans can remember, for example, the number of Hindus and Sikhs who were assaulted in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 merely because they wore turbans, and try to imagine the fate of a cross-dresser who walks into a Montana bar.  The mere fact that...
While I suspect it's true that 'menswear hobbyists' will be recognized as such by other hobbyists, I'm not sure they'd be recognized as such by non-hobbyists.    I would expect it varies by geographic location, which is to say the ‘style’ would be more likely to be recognized in the metropolitan areas of major coastal cities than it would be in small midwestern towns.   Cheers,   Ac