or Connect

Posts by Academic2

I doubt that it's ever crossed the minds of most American men that there are other men for whom clothes are a hobby.  I've been around for more than half a century, and I've never encountered the idea in real life. SF is not real life.  It's waaay better. Could be wrong, of course. Cheers, Ac
Bunch of guys hanging out talking about how big their cuffs are, and who has the biggest.   Yeah, cuffs.   Right.  Sure.  Nothing Freudian here.   Cheers,   Ac
Just a quick anecdote on the topic of how others perceive us, and the social coding implicit in our apparel.  Nothing profound here, but amusing to some, perhaps.   At this point in our history the ‘business suit’ is international—it’s sufficiently generic as to prompt no assumptions by the observer regarding the nationality of the wearer.  I often travel in one, whether for work or pleasure, partly for that reason. Additionally, when travelling in a foreign country, a...
 Me too, for the same reason they're not to my taste on Chelsea boots either (and I love Chelsea boots),  In both case the underlying simplicity and sleekness of the shoe or boot is the main attraction of the thing, and the additional decoration visually detracts from that. Cheers, Ac
 Yes.  A non-trivial point.    And let’s be clear:  a fit which might be unremarkable in one context could easily prompt an assault in another, and I’m talking about what happens in industrialized western countries.  Americans can remember, for example, the number of Hindus and Sikhs who were assaulted in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 merely because they wore turbans, and try to imagine the fate of a cross-dresser who walks into a Montana bar.  The mere fact that...
While I suspect it's true that 'menswear hobbyists' will be recognized as such by other hobbyists, I'm not sure they'd be recognized as such by non-hobbyists.    I would expect it varies by geographic location, which is to say the ‘style’ would be more likely to be recognized in the metropolitan areas of major coastal cities than it would be in small midwestern towns.   Cheers,   Ac
I wager that if we did a large enough survey we’d find a meaningful correlation between relative youth and the belief that whole cuts don’t look novel.   The rate of change in classic style accelerated considerably in the last three decades of the 20th century.  As a result we’re seeing bigger generation gaps, and we’re seeing the span of time that counts as a ‘generation’ get smaller.   Cheers,   Ac
 Ahem. You know I can hear you, right? Cheers, Ac
I would, because it picks the darkest (although I grant you contrast is a matter of degree).   YMMV.   Cheers,   Ac
  I'm guessing it wasn't a pint of English bitter ...Cheers, ac