or Connect

Posts by Academic2

I actually appreciate the fact that I can go away for a few weeks and trust that when I return you’ll still be discussing Noodles’ suit issues.   The thread is an island of stability in a sea of change.   I find that comforting.   Cheers,   Ac 
 No shame.  And it's not personal. One of our most respected members just gave you some excellent expert advice—advice which would have cost you money had you gone to a tailor for it.   He's trying to help you. Cheers, Ac
 I’m deeply jealous.  I love Vienna, though this wouldn’t be my preferred time of year to visit.  We expect a full report upon your return. Have you ever eaten at Steirereck?  If not, you should consider it. Cheers, Ac
 Thanks.  That's not bad. Cheers, Ac
 You can always recognize the guy who has recently entered or re-entered academia:   he starts quantifying stuff like this.  Cheers, Ac
 What's a pint go for?Cheers, Ac
 “The juvenile sea squirt wanders through the sea searching for a suitable rock or hunk of coral to cling to and make its home for life.  When it finds this spot and takes root, it doesn’t need its brain anymore, so it eats it! (It’s rather like getting tenure).” —Daniel Dennett, Consciousness ExplainedCheers, Ac  
 Sincere congratulations on getting tenure. And welcome to a whole new world of endless committee meetings and mind-numbing administrative work which will consume all your time and suck the very soul from your body …  [[SPOILER]]  Cheers, Ac
 While it’s true that in the US the stripes almost always run from upper right to lower left, in the UK they seem to run in either direction, though you’re absolutely right that most often they run from upper left to lower right, but there are frequent exceptions to that. Here’s Golding's RAF page (they hold a royal warrant, so I’m assuming they’ve got it...
Congrats for a well-deserved win. You've won the right to do whatever you want for the next challenge, and I look forward to learning what you come up with. In the unlikely event you need suggestions, here are few, spoilered to emphasize the fact that this is your call.  [[SPOILER]] Cheers, Ac