or Connect

Posts by Jay687

So would Oxford always be the best fabric to get? I think I know what poplin is/feels like. Is that what most dress shirts are made out of? That thin material? I'd kinda rather a thicker material... especially since you can wear a thicker material casually as well. What about pinpoint vs. oxford? Are they basically the same? Like would you be fine getting either or?
Alright, just curious if someone could explain to me (or give a link) to tell me about different fabrics, patterns, and weaves. I'm mainly asking for this about dress shirts, but feel free to explain further. For dress shirts though, so most are made 100% cotton. Now, what is the difference beyond this? The way this cotton is weaved together? Is that what is meant by: poplin, oxford, twill, herringbone, pinpoint, fil a fil, etc...? What are the true...
For a small/medium-sized watch, how much bigger should the cuff measurement be? Just started wearing watches casually and interested in also wearing a watch when wearing a suit or at least a dress shirt. I'm going to be getting some shirts in my exact measurements and wasn't sure what to do about wearing a watch. They say to measure your wrist with 1 finger underneath... obviously 1 finger is not a watch. So how much more should you expect? And then what about the...
Speaking of the watch... should it go underneath the cuff than? If so, a big watch would require a pretty large cuff. Too large I'd think, right? I mean, you are suppose to go by a finger or so underneath the cuff... a watch would be a few fingers.
Ah okay, thanks... think I'll do that with the shirts I got. I've also though been looking at: tailorstore.com because it was mentioned above. It seems like the website is far better than jantzen's. It is also just 40 bucks for a shirt made to my measurements... and they asked for more measurements as well. Anyone use this site? It also says 1-2 weeks shipping, better than that jantzen wiki page has for them. Plus, it's nice that I can see the fabric on an...
Alright, thanks. With regards to tailoring the length for instance... the shirts are not straight. They can still tailor fine along the same design of the bottom end at a dry cleaner tailor? That's the main problem for me with casual shirts. Some a tad long. And the only reason I'm tempted, as of yet, to buy something elsewhere is because other than getting a shirt already measured for me, most shirts don't fit. Gap shirts are actually shorter than the rest and...
Not sure if I bought them like this or they slowly got like this, but anyone know how to tighten up the wrist section of a thermal? Hell, whole forearm area. It's like I'd need giant forearms/wrists, lol... the shirt is nearly as wide at my wrists as it is at the top of my forearms. Fits well on my chest/upper arms though. Actually fits really well everywhere else but my wrist/lower forearm. Maybe I rolled it up or something to many times and it stretched? Bleh... not...
Alright... recently bought some button downs that I like the style of and fit me well around shoulders and body, but are too long. I compare them to other sites lengths and stuff and it seems these are as short as they are gonna even get (27-28" inches it says). But being short... they are still too long untucked. And I have other shirts I've washed before and they fit fine (from the Gap, as are these new clothes), maybe a tad long on sleeves/length, but that being an...
Quote: Originally Posted by RIDER Here is a good analogy - leather is like paper.....pull on a piece of paper and see what happens. Then, get the paper wet and pull on it again - that's why it's a good idea to let your shoes dry out between wearings.....and also the main benefit of shoe trees. Yes, but I think he is specifically asking why does a few days really make a difference over one night? Does the extra 24-48 hours make them...
Or any shirts in general really, but for dress shirts, should you expect the sleeves to shrink up to an inch? Say you were wearing one casually (and it'd be untucked), would the length shrink up to an inch? 2? I guess it depends on material also? Say 100% cotton. Just curious since it'll probably help with sizing in the future.