or Connect

Posts by evanmayer1

The Bushacres do start out a lighter color than Originals. I have a pair and I'm very happy with them. Both models end up being the same color after a coat of Obenauf's.
Here's my pair of Clark's Bushacre IIs in Beeswax Leather after one year. The Bushacre has a stiffer (non-crepe) rubber sole, painted brass eyelets, and some sort of soft, brown, rubberized lining. I applied Obenauf's LP every 3-4 months, with the last coat a week ago.  [[SPOILER]]  Here's my brother's pair, which received no treatment for one year other than a quick wipe down with a damp rag just before I took the pictures.  [[SPOILER]]  Here's the second pair immediately...
I would try searching for a navy wool "car coat". They're usually single breasted, and I had plenty of those turn up while I was searching eBay for my peacoat.
  It's possible that it just won't work for you, and you might have to consider other coat options. However, you could try to size up to get the fit you want in the shoulders, and have a tailor take in the extra length in the sleeves.
My coat arrived today. It's a 36R 1979 Vi-Mil, Inc. military issue peacoat.   Coat: p2p: 20" Top sleeve seam to cuff: 25.5"   Me: True chest measurement: 36"  Height: 5'10" Weight: ~135lbs Off-the-rack sleeve length: 34-35   The wool is heavy and dark, in excellent condition, with no moth damage or stains. There are two small tears in stitching and one small area of separated lining at the hem. One pocket has a button sewn on through it, and the last button to be buttoned...
My 1979 peacoat is on its way. When it arrives, I can post info on how it fits, measurements, etc., to add another data point for future buyers to reference, if you guys want.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Navy-dark-blue-mens-36R-Pea-Coat-Excellent-condition-Made-in-USA-/251302167438?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item3a82c6c38e#viTabs_0   (Coat shipped a few days prior to this post.)
This looks like a very slim miltary-style peacoat all around. When buttoned, see how the lapels don't lie flat? And like you said, the arms are quite slim. Whether it's too slim is up to you and how you want to wear it (layering vs. no layering). Edit: You could probably get away with a larger size, although it might be even longer. The chest might be roomier, the sleeves might be fuller, and the cuffs might come down a bit.
Only way to be sure is to post a picture, but there are plenty of "acceptable" (used highly loosely) fits in this thread, so you can compare and make your own call. Ultimately, it's up to you.
I know one thing, and that is that fabric cannot be added where there is none, and the sleeve seam seems like a place where there would be no extra fabric. I'd say try on a size larger if possible. Doesn't hurt to try, unless shipping is involved.
Thanks, Peacoat, for the amazingly detailed reply. I copied your p2p instructions into my request for measurements. I am indeed looking for a coat I can layer with, so it sounds perfect.