or Connect

Posts by evanmayer1

Definitely measure yourself before making a judgment. I have a 1979 36R, and it fits me well. It's not a slim fit, as the sleeves and chest are large enough to fit a thick ski sweater without binding. Good luck finding a vintage peacoat with a slim fit, the only place it will fit closely would be the chest, if sized correctly. I am ~5'11", 140, with a 32 waist, and probably slimmer in the chest and shoulders than you. Check my profile for previous posts in this thread,...
Go with your gut. If it feels thin and isn't 100% wool, it probably won't be very warm. I would say use many layers, but it sounds like it fits well without layers. The other tipoff is American Eagle. They're not really known for their winter gear, at least not to me. If it gets down to 0, go for a proper down coat or one with a zip-out liner. A really heavy duty peacoat may work in that cold, but you'd need layers and a scarf and hat.When the polar vortex hit Chicago last...
 That seems a little warm for heavy wool coats, but if you think it works, no one is stopping you. It's certainly a good combination, it's just a question of if you find yourself cold enough. Just don't make yourself uncomfortable!  Try Etsy. They may have some, but the target market is narrower (vintage and handmade crafts enthusiasts) than eBay, so the people there tend to price desirable vintage goods higher. eBay may take some time. Peacoats come and go on there all...
I'm no Peacoat, but I think he'd corroborate what I'm about to say. VintageTrends is not easy to work with. Their pictures are scant and in the past, they have been stingy with proper measurements. Mostly, you must take their word on size and condition.Differences in price between jackets of the same size and condition could either be due to small differences in condition at each level or differences in rarity. The older jackets are more desirable for their fit and material.
 The Bushacres do start out a lighter color than Originals. I have a pair and I'm very happy with them. Both models end up being the same color after a coat of Obenauf's.
Here's my pair of Clark's Bushacre IIs in Beeswax Leather after one year. The Bushacre has a stiffer (non-crepe) rubber sole, painted brass eyelets, and some sort of soft, brown, rubberized lining. I applied Obenauf's LP every 3-4 months, with the last coat a week ago.  [[SPOILER]]  Here's my brother's pair, which received no treatment for one year other than a quick wipe down with a damp rag just before I took the pictures.  [[SPOILER]]  Here's the second pair immediately...
I would try searching for a navy wool "car coat". They're usually single breasted, and I had plenty of those turn up while I was searching eBay for my peacoat.
  It's possible that it just won't work for you, and you might have to consider other coat options. However, you could try to size up to get the fit you want in the shoulders, and have a tailor take in the extra length in the sleeves.
My coat arrived today. It's a 36R 1979 Vi-Mil, Inc. military issue peacoat.   Coat: p2p: 20" Top sleeve seam to cuff: 25.5"   Me: True chest measurement: 36"  Height: 5'10" Weight: ~135lbs Off-the-rack sleeve length: 34-35   The wool is heavy and dark, in excellent condition, with no moth damage or stains. There are two small tears in stitching and one small area of separated lining at the hem. One pocket has a button sewn on through it, and the last button to be buttoned...
My 1979 peacoat is on its way. When it arrives, I can post info on how it fits, measurements, etc., to add another data point for future buyers to reference, if you guys want.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Navy-dark-blue-mens-36R-Pea-Coat-Excellent-condition-Made-in-USA-/251302167438?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item3a82c6c38e#viTabs_0   (Coat shipped a few days prior to this post.)