or Connect

Posts by Munky

Laces on my Chesters and those on the Capital last, seem to be a bit short. Especially if you like to double knot them. I have bought some Loake, longer laces (90cm) on Amazon. These seem to be much better. Regards and best wishes, Munky.
 ?
Thanks, AHC, but you would have to show me!  A pair of first class tickets to the UK are in the post! Now...back to lacing...
You are a couple of randy old goats. That's not to be taken as a criticism. May as well think about your bone, even if you have forgotten how to use it. 
Ozzy, the spatula was much bigger than the one from APOS. More the size of a tongue depressor, used by doctors. I would imagine that using the APOS one would be tiring as an all-day tool. It might not have be able to cope with larger sizes of leather, card or paper. Even making sharp edges in paper requires a bit of leverage.
 I don't really know about this, DW; it was nearly 50 years ago. Thinking about it, I would imagine that it was easier to 'control' the spatula along edges. It was never used on anything except straight edges. Or perhaps it was a method, handed down, which allowed people to say 'we have always used one of these' !  I would worry that using a spoon might not produce the razor sharp edge of leather, card and paper.  What do you use the one on your bench, for, DW?
I have been sitting here for about an hour, trying to do the 'straight bar' lacing. I got it sorted out with one pair and then lost it completely on my Strands. Life must be simpler than this, surely? All I can do is the criss cross lacing. Oh well, another hour won't hurt.    I have studied this shoe lace site (yes, really!) but I still can't work it out and it only happens, for me, by accident.     http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm
Just to close the loop; in a previous life as a bookbinder, I used a bone 'spatula' exactly similar to the one your bench, DW. It was used for making razor sharp edges and to ensure that the (very thin) leather fitted close to the boards, below. It was also used to sharpen the edges of paper. I suspect, but I may be wrong, that such use of a bone is not that different to using it with shoes. The spatula was certainly used to smooth out creases and this seems to be one of...
I have some Loake's Chester brouges and have just bought some Loake's Buckingham brogues. Both are described as 'tan'. However, there is a considerable colour difference between the two pairs. Both pairs are made in the UK from calf leather.  The Chesters are about 2 years old and are a 'brighter' colour than the new shoes. Is this just the way of things?  I image there are quite a few variables involved in the colouring and conditioning of leather.   Fond regards, Munky
Travers, you are the only one who is suffering as a result  of these exchanges. Sit back for a bit.