or Connect

Posts by Clouseau

'Robots' were definitely the 'sussed' shoes for class of 65. Yes it was mid 80s. The more common were the black leather monkstraps. Mine had laces (two eyelets i think), were in grey suede with a suede lace passing over the apron. They looked the dog's'bollocks (well at the time) definitely a must have for the ITK people. As usual then you had to go to England to get them. Yes i remember the 'leopard' ones, and yes they looked like pointed creepers but with a DM sole...
Yes i had noticed the too short sleeves on the Sunspel Riviera. Their Jerseys polos have longer sleeves though. The Riviera tend to be a little short at the waist too. About the Smedleys it is true they are not as hard wearing as pique polo but they are so thin it is nice to wear them by hot weather. I noticed the critical point with them is washing, where it is not a problem with say, FP, RL, or Lacoste.
Do you remember 'Robot' shoes ? They were a must have for ex-punks, ex-skins, ex-mods here. The kind of shoes you wore at a trendy night club listening to new or cold wave. I had a lovely pair in grey suede with a thin DM sole. I think George Cox still makes them. Much too pointed to wear today of course! Another brand from that period that i liked was Island. They made lovely sta prest style trousers in cotton. They had a shop in Paris then disappeared. It was an Italian...
Yes, FreeLance was a popular 80s brand: sandals, plimsoles, etc. I don't know if it still exist. Now, Ivy Oxford, that is interesting. The first Harrington i had was of this brand.(And was made in italy) It was in the early 80s. It was a navy blue, with a red tartan lining with a small pattern, and it had a back vent a bit like the Baracuta 'umbrella' back. Another piece of clobber i gave to a friend at the end of my 'skin' days and that i regret...
Would i be in the Riviera (unfortunately it didnt happen for a few years) and not at the beach (where i only wear swimming trunks), i would wear a Smedley Isis or Milo polo, a white 501, and some espadrilles. The sunspel polo is on my wish list BTW
My 'resort wear' this year is very simple (as i didnt go to any special 'resort', but its hot here so...) FP polo Light Paul Smith jeans Baracuta or linen/cotton jacket Loafers (tasseled or not) I am at the country for a week, the only variation are shoes, i wear my old Paraboot Michaels at the moment.
According to Aces and Eights (in a recent discussions) the jeans were too long even after they shrank, so you did turn ups to have them at the right height to reveal the boots. As simple as that. I think they didn't give a f...about the turn ups look. I suppose it was the same about the braces, X or Y WTF ?DJ, i am not sure but i think i saw the 'northerner' picture before and that they are Irish...
No it was a 'classic' one, that is the strange thing about it. It was a black with champagne piping. I remember very well the tag that was not sewn but glued... He had bought it in England as at the time you couldn't find the ones with tipping in France.Not the case today where you can find FP shops at every street corner.
I remember a friend in the 80s had a FP polo with a sticky label just like that, and 100% acrylic. It was weird as all FP polos i had seen before (and after) were 100% cotton. So i always thought it was a fake. But maybe not after all, as all the details seemed correct. Anyone remembers them ?Welcome Sean Carlson...