or Connect

Posts by Clouseau

Funny, as years go by and there were new waves of skinheads, there was a kind of inflation in the boots eyelets... 6,8, 10, even 14 (Horrid) !The 11 eyelet Hawkins Astronaut was there since the end of the sixties i think.When i bought my first pair of DMs in 1979-80, for 19,99 quids, Airwair 10 holes was the fad, i bought black ones, but a lot of skins still wore 8 holes boots. At the time you could not buy them abroad, so i had to put a life insurance on them back on...
A couple more .   I like this one, but probably eighties
Whodicapfit, always interesting to find "sample" at low price. This model looks like a first study of the MIE "Pietro" (see picture. Ridiculously expensive BTW) that looks very much like it, except maybe for the small stitching on the welt.  i like the shape, that reminds me (a bit) of the old "Astronauts". Agree with Mc Dermott about the shiny coated leather though, but i quite like the "rub-off" burgundy color.      Speaking of boots, the last version of...
The Paraboot version, cheaper but still very good.
"Chasse", notice the Norwegian stitching.
These Westons, called "Chasse", are handmade with a norwegian stitching and are bloody expensive. They do a  much cheaper version called "Demi-Chasse" (i think they are the one on the picture posted by Gsvs5), partially handmade, with a goodyear welt construction. They are called "Chasse" because they were supposed to be used by (rich) gentlemen when hunting. I owned the "Golf" by Weston, you'll understand what they are supposed to use for... Great shoes that lasted more...
I think i already mentioned "Fairmount", an ex-US brand, bought by a French company. The shoes are still made in America (Brasil), look good and sturdy, with a nice quality leather and a thick sole. I didn't see their Smooths, but i did see their Longwings, far more better than Loake IMO. In fact i regret to have bought some Loake royals, unfortunately i discovered "Fairmount" only two years ago. There is no "seam in the instep where two pieces are joined" on their...
I first went on Carnaby street in the late seventies-early eighties. I remember the "flea market", little shops on the streets, who mainly sold crappy t-shirts, badges (do you say buttons?), patches, accessories, and a few clothes. It was rubbish, but i used to find funny stuff i couldn't buy here. I remember the "Carnaby style" Dickensian rectangular sunglasses, who where worn at one (brief) point by some french punks & skins, and the nazi badges who were strictly...
Tom, for you second wave starts 78-79, and third wave around 1981? I remember MA-1, Bleach, 10 holes DMs being huge around 1980.
I agree in some cases you can benefit from a kind of "uniform" look, specially when this uniform is good looking, like it was with traditional 60s skinhead and suedehead, that evolved out of smart dressing mods, who themselves where under numerous influences (Ivy, continental, traditional british, American soldiers and officers staying in Europe after the war, etc. Just to mention the smart side). During the 2 Tone era, it was often difficult to tell (smart) skinheads...