or Connect

Posts by Clouseau

Not "pure" Ivy league for sure, Roytonboy. But from what i understood of your post, you were also interested by the Ivy league influence and adaptation by non-americans. The so-called Minets mixed French, English, and American influences. See the pictures of them in "The Kennedy look" (Ivy league style in their idea), it's not pure Ivy at all, like i think the mods, skinheads, and suedeheads of the 60s.A picture i took at the "Renoma exhibition", i already posted at the...
Ivy league was very influential in the early 60s in all Europe, and even in Japan. In France, the original Minets (who had no name at the time, they had already moved on when the name came) were under influences of Ivy league (they referred to as "the Kennedy look"), English and French elements they all mixed.   "In the beginning, we all wore three-piece bespoke suits. We were the business. My friend Nick Lowe told me: "Fcuk, when you came in Bournemouth we were jealous....
I went back to the Levi's store today to have another look at the leather trucker jacket. Except that it's made in India, well not such a problem for me... ... And that i don't like the leather too much, i'm still interested by the jacket, quite rare. But today i noticed a wrong detail (i think ?), the buttons are like on a denim jacket, and are not press studs. I always thought/red that on leather or suede trucker, they had to be press studs (that's the case on an...
Let the man himself speak :   http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/may/13/fashion.features
The point of this text excerpt's (in its entirety) was just to show that in 1969-70, the young Weller was aware & fashion-conscious of the skinhead/suedehead fashion. I think you're right, what says this bloke (Baker, apparently a Weller's friend at the time) is probably exaggerated. But at the same time, there were always followers and leaders.I know the Weller subject in England is a bit touchy (tabloids, etc.) as he's a celebrity. It's not the case here, where he's just...
Apparently, he was "fashion-conscious" very young. Excerpt from "Paul Weller: My ever changing moods" by John Reed: So the boots and braces image gave way to what was labelled the suedehead look. (...) This was the look Weller was keen to adopt, but since most of these clothes weren't available in Woking - at least not in Paul's size -  he would save up for trips to Petticoat lane, London famous East End market, held very sunday. (...) "He had brogues and Doc Martens"...
Is it cold in England, or is it just for the look ? It's true he's an ex-suedehead. The girl standing in sheepskin has got the same haircut ! :
Would say late 70s boneheads go old n fat...n bald.Finally they've got more or less the same clobber as the Original. But the devil is in the details: lousy colors, braces other checked shirts, trousers too short, ugly footwear, etc.Of course i wouldn't tell them, i don't run as fast as i used to !  And if they are happy like that after all...
Thanks for that, Yankmod, i really enjoyed the show ! I think the Original aged well (when you have a look at the picture - we well know - of his youth) and is still very smart in the classic look.Maroon harrington, off-white sta-prest, chunky black tassel loafers, a check shirt - not in lousy colors- and no braces, can't go wrong with that !...
Roytonboy, i misunderstood (partially). English subtleties are not always easy for me...  But i was more trying to react to Covskin post than to yours. I never wanted to say that checked shirts were not worn by the Originals, as there are photographic evidences, testimonies, etc.I remember the only braces i wore (in the 80s) were first to my dad. They were "old man style", very nice, black, 1/2 inch, and the inside was light grey. They must have been from the 60s or even...