or Connect

Posts by revrend

I'll try to get the camera out to get some less awful photos, but the two below are from a couple weeks ago.   I wear them 1-2 times per week. The most significant signs of wear are creases here and there that blend really nicely with the texture of the leather and smoothing/burnishing over the celastic toe. Scratches and nicks show up fairly high contrast at first, but they blend in after conditioning and brushing.    I seem to recall hearing that the commando mini...
 I find lighter colors of chromexcel generally more likely to pick up discoloration.  Heavier oils and waxes can contribute to dirt accumulation, but that's often only really a problem in creases. It's hard to say if that's what's happening in your case. It could just be the conditions you use them in. Here are my tan addisons. I don't really do much more with them than wear them in dry, urban conditions about once per week. They picked up that dark spot pretty easily.  
Thanks, I enjoyed that. I recently established an account with Abbey to occasionally order leathers and supplies more readily available in the UK, and was reminded of the differences in color names and color availability between the US and UK.  I'll be interested to hear what you're able to turn up. I haven't handled many bridle leathers, but I've heard there's a fair bit of difference among North American tanneries. Chahin, I've heard, makes bridle closest to what UK...
 In part, I think this is because different tanneries have their own takes on what bridle leather is, especially versus the harness leathers they make. Generally, it should be hot stuffed, wax-finished, more flexible, and probably a little thinner and less strong than harness leather. But that doesn't really tell anyone much, especially because there's an enormous difference between US and UK bridle leathers that the US tanneries often blur by calling their bridle leather...
 I've seen a lot of different amounts of taper called "Cuban." If people want to be really precise about it, there are heel style charts out there. White's standard heels are closest to "walking" heels on Western boots. If they're definitely not anything, they're neither block nor riding heels. 
I like it too. I avoid incorporating wrinkles or drawn grain into work I sell to my customers, but I like it in my my own stuff.  One of our local leather shops has a stack of leather with brands they've pulled out and sell separately because some people specifically look for those cuts while others avoid them like the plague. 
My addisons are seconds and the wrinkling is so pronounced on one toe that it's almost like stripes. I actually like it.  There are also a couple of what I'm pretty sure are flea or tick bites, but they're not really noticeable.
Pretty much. Since leather is primarily a meat industry byproduct now, this kind of "marbling" in hides is very common since almost all cows get so fattened up before slaughter. With few exceptions, even the #1 hides I've bought have had a fair amount of wrinkles consistently from hide to hide. 
 Almost every side of Horween leather (2 sides of Dublin, 2 standard Chromexcel, 5 Chromexcel variants) I've purchased over the last year has had those marks. In my opinion, they are fat wrinkles (or stretch marks or whatever you want to call them). The only side that hasn't was a black chromexcel side. And generally, they seem to present fewer structural concerns than the wrinkles near the belly or neck.  My tan addisons have them and they really don't bug me. They do...
 Honestly, I think it always looks way more pronounced in photos than it does on the foot with White's. I have other boots where the Cuban Heel is pretty damned obvious when I'm wearing them, but it's pretty subtle on my Bounty Hunters. It's noticeable, but it doesn't really look out of place.