or Connect

Posts by revrend

My 8" olive chromepak boots came in earlier this week. Here are a handful of pics.                   The following show olive chromepak vs. olive chromexcel. Other than a few details, the specs are identical on these two pairs.         
That sales and new product developments keep showing up before this is all caught up is disheartening.What's your order number? My first order should be in a batch that's been "in production" for weeks (months?) now. I'm pretty sure I'll cancel my other order I don't expect it will be done before summer.
I would add that the 50% off sales need to stop. I sell leather belts and wallets made to order. Every single time I have a sale, I end up with a headache. Almost all of my customers are fantastic, wonderful people who understand I do leather work on the side and need time for my family and other responsibilities. But there's a subset of bargain shoppers who are very demanding about details and timelines.  I also finding myself falling into the trap of wanting to run...
I have distressed smooth, too. They're both awesome leathers. Bison is a little more wild and out there, but that pair of boots is one of the few things I own that gets strangers stopping on the street to ask questions or offer compliments. 
Here you go. They're from 2-3 months ago but little has changed since. They a bit over a year old. Bison fibers are different. Feels a bit less dense than cow but it's tougher. Break in and care is pretty much like any cow leather.
I have some 6" bounty hunters in brown bison. They're excellent. I highly recommend them.
 You can buy it straight from Horween. But if you're just starting out, do a lot of practicing on scrap first.
 Damn... I love pebbled leather. Is the red dog pebbled one of the Voyage leathers or is it something else? 
 There are different "recipes" based off the original chromexcel process. Cavalier is a common chromexcel variant.
 This is kind of a confusing subject. As I've heard it secondhand, Horween grades their leather to order specifications. There's no objective definition for "seconds" for example. So, it's hard to say for sure whether the quality of the leather used by Wolverine, Viberg, Nicks, etc. is different. One thing that I know to be absolutely true about Nicks compared to Wolverine is the thickness of the leather used. Assuming the hide surface appears fine, thicker chromexcel is...