or Connect

Posts by revrend

You can buy it straight from Horween. But if you're just starting out, do a lot of practicing on scrap first.
 Damn... I love pebbled leather. Is the red dog pebbled one of the Voyage leathers or is it something else? 
 There are different "recipes" based off the original chromexcel process. Cavalier is a common chromexcel variant.
 This is kind of a confusing subject. As I've heard it secondhand, Horween grades their leather to order specifications. There's no objective definition for "seconds" for example. So, it's hard to say for sure whether the quality of the leather used by Wolverine, Viberg, Nicks, etc. is different. One thing that I know to be absolutely true about Nicks compared to Wolverine is the thickness of the leather used. Assuming the hide surface appears fine, thicker chromexcel is...
Beyond the tanning process differences, Chromepak has a pretty different feel and look to it. To say it's hot stuffed doesn't do it justice. It's like a leather foie gras, stuffed so full of waxes and oils it can't take any more. The surface is almost sticky and it has a strong kind of industrial smell. It's probably the most water and dirt resistant leather I've ever used. And while I find it kind of a pain in the ass to work with, the pull up is insane.  I did a run of...
Just posted pics and some details over in the Nicks thread on a pair that came in today. Figured I'd share one of the pics here too.   
Got a good news/bad news call from Nicks a couple days ago.   Good news: Boots were done.   Bad news: They were done in olive chromexcel rather than the olive chromepak (that isn't even in stock yet)   Perhaps because my widths don't match, they offered me the messed up pair at considerable discount. When I was done picking my jaw up off the floor, I gave them my credit card number and here we are.     Build details as I remember:   Cap Toe Natural...
I haven't had squeaking, but yes to the marking. And damn do they wear down quick. I won't be getting them again. 
I agree that the proportions are off. Not so much that it'd really look weird on the foot, but it does need to be a bit stouter for that height. 
I don't anticipate any problems either. I'm just not familiar with their process and when they confirm order details, etc. I think they're still sitting on the payment for the try-on pair.